Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I drove my car to work this morning. 50 mile commute. During the last 20 miles I noticed I was losing power steering. Then when I pulled into a drive through the car was running a little rough. The car has been having issues with the TPS lately so I figured that was the problem. I revved the engine a couple of times and it started to smooth out. Then while I was talking with the guy at the window I heard a loud ping and a clunk. My car was running fine so I didn't think it was mine. I asked the kid what the sound was and he had no idea but he had heard it too. I left the the drive through and drove to work. Now I had no power steering at all and the battery light was on.

When I pulled into my office I popped the hood and saw the belt was off. Figuring I had a broken belt I grabbed it only to find it was intact. Uh oh...now I knew what the clunk was. My main pulley fell off! :eek: I drove back to the drive through and there was my pulley and bolt laying on the ground.

I have a spare pulley at home but do you guys think its safe to drive without it or should I try and find one locally before I drive home?

why not simply reattach your old pulley you found on the ground with the bolt?

driving without the pulley in place sounds like a really bad idea. the alternator won't be charging and you won't be able to drive very long.

highly doubt you'll make it 50 miles after traveling that far with it not working.

if you do attempt it:

1. have the battery charged first (local parts store or someone with jumper cables).

2. don't use anything electrical at all.

3. i would simply pull the fuses for the dash, stereo, etc so it's not using any power. pull every fuse possible that's not needed for the car to run and no you don't need the dash/instrument panel to drive.

I have had that happen before. With no belts, your alternator is not working. Power is coming only from the battery. I seriously doubt that you can drive 50 miles back home, before the battery goes dead. Once dead, your motor won't run. Time to call a tow truck.

You will need to reinstall the pulley. Check to see the condition of the key way, that it is not too buggered up. Use liquid thread locker to keep the bolt from backing out again. Really tighten the snot out of that bolt, then check frequently to see that it is not coming loose again.

If you can manage to cut/grind/hack of the key off where it's messed up you can bolt the pulley on. Just as long as it goes on flat that's all that matters. The key doesn't do anything anyway, just lines up the sprocket, the bolt holds everything together and in place when it's tightened.

yeah the key isn't needed at all. i've repaired a bunch but just cleaning them up and bolting the SNOT out of the crank pulley bolt so it doesn't come off.

they come off because they weren't isntalled tight enough. i use a 3 foot pipe over my socket handle, never have one come off.

It's too bad these modern cars have so many electrical loads... When the alternator quit in my old VW, I ran it without a charging system for about 3 months before I finally got around to fixing it. ;) I just hooked it up to a trickle charger overnight at home after every few days of driving, and avoided driving at night (headlights).

If you decide to limp it home without a pulley, take grossgary's advice and get the battery fully charged before you do. Also, if you have a spare battery that someone can bring out to you, you can always stop and swap them if the first one gets too low.

Don't forget that the brake lights are another electrical load. So driving during rush hour might be a bad idea...

Good luck. icon14.gif

i think the correct amount is 125 - 137 ft. lbs. i always go past 140 ft lbs.

i think the 87 ft lbs is the error . it is really hard to get rid of an error on the internet, or a subaru repair manual apparently.

on a slightly different note to those who know auto engineering, is 10% a normal range for a torque spec? or is there no rule of thumb, just a case by case rating?