Ultimate Subaru Message Board

repair or replace wrecked rear quarter panel

My brown beater was wrecked last week and I'd like to get it back on the road. Front is easy, I'm concerned with the rear, I've never really repaired a rear quarter panel, nothing near this bad.

Is pulling/pushing that even an option?

Picture of the rear damage here:

http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12761&p=143057#p143057

I realize most would say cut/weld in new metal...that sounds like a ton of work and not sure where I would find one to cut. Got rid of my parts car.

Yeah, that'll buff right out.

Honestly I don't see any way of fixing that without cutting and welding.

If you're really patient with a sledgehammer and a block of wood you might be able to get it "Good enuff". Getting the tail light to fit back in is going to be the trick part.

But you're in WV right so, one of those square trailer lights wont look too out of place? :grin:

The rear is too crushed to pull out. The only way to fix is to cut out, and weld in a replacement corner.

The front may not be as easy as you think. It won't be a simple swap in of a new fender etc. With your car, it looks like too much got bent, and new parts won't line up for a bolt on. Then there is the likely problem of broke, or bent suspension parts to deal with. I have been down this road before to know. Repairs become 10 times more, then you first think they are going to be.

If it were me, I would think of buying another Subaru, and consider the wrecked Subaru as a parts car.

Honestly I don't see any way of fixing that without cutting and welding.
i think i'll shoot for that if i can find one, i don't have any parts cars available.

But you're in WV right so, one of those square trailer lights wont look too out of place? :grin:
ROFL! :headbang:

i don't need it to look good but i don't want it to "stand out" either!! inconspicuous i guess is the goal.

The rear is too crushed to pull out.
copy, you're right and i need to shoot for replacement as the goal if i can find one.

The front may not be as easy as you think.
actually i'm okay with the front, don't need any help there. i've repaired quite a few wrecked Subaru's (all frontal wrecks). if you see the pictures in the linked thread you can see the hood and fender are a different shade of Taupe Metallic (Subarus name for this doo-doo brown :headbang:). it was wrecked before and i repaired it. i've found the frontal repairs quite easy actually.

Most U-pull-it yards don't want you out in the yard cutting corners off of cars. The ones that pull stuff for you will usually cut stuff up. Know anybody who works at a body shop? I see quarters/thirds/halves of cars on flatbed trucks going to the shop down the road here all the time.

Just a thought.......go on line to car-parts.com, which will put you in touch with wrecking yards in a several hundred mile radius. Tell them what you want. There is a good chance, they may torch off a rear quarter panel, and have it delivered by UPS. There is a bit of trust involved, you give them your credit card, and they ship to you, sight unseen.

Just a few weeks back, I found a driver's seat for my OBW from a yard. I had them ship it by UPS, and was happy with the transaction. The seat came wrapped in industrial size & strength Seran wrap for shipping protection. A quarter panel could be shipped with the same wrap. Just be sure to order the quarter panel cut to the largest size possible. That way, it can be trimmed back to fit your size needs. I found a guy, who worked out of his home garage, who did body work. I took my car and the panel to him, and he did a decent repair job on the cheap.

There is a bit of trust involved, you give them your credit card, and they ship to you, sight unseen.
right on, i do that all the time. i'd much rather have a box at my door than drive and wait in line at a junk yard. didn't think places would do the rears, but hey defintely worth some calls. thanks.

i'm going to give an hour or two into pulling it just to see where it ends up, i don't care what it looks like.

Start by sledgehammering and porta-powering (if you have one) the quarter back into shape. It will make lining up the new sheetmetal easier, and if you get it close enough to call it good you saved cutting and welding.

Before sectioning the top half of my trucks cab after it's rollover, they straightened it out as much as possible so all the pillars were back where they should be. Made lining up the new roof and pillars much easier for them.

Your main concern is getting the trunk to seal. You will get exhaust leaking back into the cabin if it doesn't.

Here's a handy tool for overlapping and spot welding if you do replace the quarter: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/specialty-air-tools/air-punch-flange-tool-1110.html

Edited by WoodsWagon