Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reworking the tumblers

Maybe this is a general question?

So awhile ago, my car was moved.. long story short it wasnt where I left it for sure.

I think I figured out who did it, someone with a car near exact of mine that may have had the same key style and it worked. Anyway question time....

Can I have a locksmith rework the tumblers in my door locks and ignition and then make me a key off the re-worked tumblers so that I have a custom/one-of-a-kind lock/key so that this doesnt happen in the future? Long shot? Expensive? Pointless?

Yes. But what you could do that would be cheaper would be to get an ignition cylinder from NAPA with a key. Pull your door and trunk cylinders and have them re-keyed to the new ignition and make sure to have several spare keys. There is no One of a kind key. There are only around 200 combinations with the number of tumblers in the cylinder.

Frameless windows won't stop anyone from getting in even if the door was locked

No, but it makes it harder. It also looks suspicious to get in through the window, whereas nobody would think anything of it if someone walked up to a car and got in with the key.

Kill switch. Disable the fuel pump ground.

GD

Ive considered this option, have it hidden under the dash or something... how hard is it?

No, but it makes it harder. It also looks suspicious to get in through the window, whereas nobody would think anything of it if someone walked up to a car and got in with the key.

Thats my problem... and unfortunately the person has been seen with me so it wouldnt be weird if his Subaru showed up and he drove off with mine for awhile, its happened before when we were on speaking terms.

I have a solution, but you won't like it. A while ago (two years or so) I locked myself out of my car, and used a wire hangar to get into the car. In the process I managed to disconnect the rod that connects the lock tumbler to the door latch. When I lock the doors, then later return to unlock them, I have to go through the passenger side as the key turns but the tumbler is not connected to anything. I just reach across and hit the button to unlock, then walk around.

To do this intentionally, it is relatively simple to remove the panel inside the door and use a pliers or screw driver to reach through one of the holes inside the door and pop the rod off the tumbler. You could also wire a switch into the electric lock/unlock switch (assuming your driver side door lock has this option) and hide the switch outside somewhere, or to a remote unlock. Then break a key off into the lock, or otherwise jam the tumbler so a key can't get into it, but it will still turn when the switch is activated.

My other ideas are somewhat less practical, but here goes nothing:

Or break a key off in the lock in such a way that inserting the other half allows will work the lock, but a complete key will not.

Alternatively (and with only slightly more work) you may be able to swap the tumbler (passenger side too, if you can) for one from another make--take one from a ford or something that uses a different key style altogether. (Ford has offset edges on their keys, where Subarus only have a groove in the keyshaft). I haven't heard of anyone doing this, but in theory it is possible.

If you want all different locks, go to the junk yard and find a car that has a key. Take all the locks and swap them to your car.

When I had to replace my ignition I re-keyed it to match the doors. I also re-keyed my trunk to match the doors (since not only was the tumbler broken, I never got the trunk key).

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of working on locks. I should make a writeup of how to take apart the ignition tumbler, there's a nifty trick.

If you want all different locks, go to the junk yard and find a car that has a key. Take all the locks and swap them to your car.

When I had to replace my ignition I re-keyed it to match the doors. I also re-keyed my trunk to match the doors (since not only was the tumbler broken, I never got the trunk key).

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of working on locks. I should make a writeup of how to take apart the ignition tumbler, there's a nifty trick.

I thought about changing my locks... but I wanted it to be a little more... secure I guess... replace them but also make them unique, but I see thats not exactly possible.

I may just do the fuel pump cutoff switch... but at the same time, that only works as long as nobody sees me turn it on :/

Get an alarm system with RFID tag. I'm sure such a thing exists, and if it doesn't it should.

If you don't have the tag on your keyring, the alarm will go off if you open the door.

If it doesn't exist I'm going into my man cave, turning on the green lights, and making one exist...

I thought about changing my locks... but I wanted it to be a little more... secure I guess... replace them but also make them unique, but I see thats not exactly possible.

I may just do the fuel pump cutoff switch... but at the same time, that only works as long as nobody sees me turn it on :/

Proximity switch & a relay also works for fuel pump/starter defeat. Epoxy a large steel wash to the back of the plastic dashboard & the proximity switch in the middle of the washer hole. Position your favorite fridge magnet to start & run the car.

A few washers in other places might help confuse the uninitiated.;)

Edited by czny
an idea

A subtle fuel pump or ignition cut-off is way WAY easier than the locks. You can do what a couple others said and use a proximity switch (like is used in safety guards for power tools/machinery). Put the switch inside the steering column, interrupting the starter circuit--and the activator as a key fob. Just hold the fob TO the plastic in the right spot while you crank the motor, no one will notice. Use an RFD tag if just a plain magnet isn't secure enough.

They make the sensors quite small, I've seen them half the size of a USB drive, and the activator part even smaller than that--a jelly bean size magnet can do it.

You can also interrupt the fuel pump and use a foot switch, or wire it through a switch you don't use. A tiny switch that will fit near the ignition. Wire it through the virgin light switch on top of the steering column, etc. One person in a similar thread suggested getting a switch from a car with an option yours doesn't have--heated seats, or something like that, and wire it through that...lots of options.

Edited by man on the moon

Get an alarm system with RFID tag. I'm sure such a thing exists, and if it doesn't it should.

If you don't have the tag on your keyring, the alarm will go off if you open the door.

If it doesn't exist I'm going into my man cave, turning on the green lights, and making one exist...

BOOM

Thatd be kickass...

I shall check, but prepare your mancave

Looks promising, they do exist! Gotta check it out... I have been against aftermarket car alarms just because they are so sensitive that snowballs set them off, Neds exhaust sets them off, basketballs set them off...

by them I mean one next door :lol:

Edit:

Heres one, what do you guys think? I think its kinda cool... not sure on the brand or anything...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/no-reserve-RFID-MONITOR-CAR-ALARM-HANDS-FREE-LUXURY-/190548612712?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item2c5d951668&vxp=mtr

Edited by 92_rugby_subie

Subscribed. Looking into antitheft options myself.

Only problem is, if your friend can see this website; he will know if he has to wave magnets or rfid's around. :dead:

Or he will damage the outside of your car to spite you. :horse:

There is another option... :Flame::dead: :dead: :dead:

What friend??? :drunk:

Just find another lockcylnder for the doors from something other than a subie or nissan.. Shouldnt be too dificult to find one that fits.. hyundai maybe?

i say this because theres never been a subie that i havent been able to open or start with another subie or nissan key. except my brothers hatchie i can turn the ignition but it locks again in the on position and its difficult to start it.

with just a boby pin i can get into most cars

Dont worry i only use my powers for good.

My brother manages to lock his keys in his car about once a week.

Only problem is, if your friend can see this website; he will know if he has to wave magnets or rfid's around. :dead:

Currently there are some street trolls testing car alarms around my area.....hitting cars to test the motion detectors. Common trick to keep wearing down the victim so the alarm stays off. And then.....

Granted some lurkers will be reading this thread......

Infrared camera(s) pointed & ready......

Edited by czny

When I was in South Africa car theft was a big problem. Also carjacking at red lights in traffic.

People installed propane cylinders in the trunk and rigged them to the door handles. If you pulled the door handle while the door was locked, you'd literally have this in your face :Flame:

This was quite some time ago, but I'm not making this ************ up...

Probably overkill for your situation though, it may be frowned upon in this country. But hey, now you know not to try carjacking in South Africa if you should ever find yourself there.

I have pointed this site out to him, to my knowledge he doesnt look at it, because when I mention the solution to his problem is on here, guess who looks it up for him :dead:

When I was in South Africa car theft was a big problem. Also carjacking at red lights in traffic.

People installed propane cylinders in the trunk and rigged them to the door handles. If you pulled the door handle while the door was locked, you'd literally have this in your face :Flame:

This was quite some time ago, but I'm not making this ************ up...

Probably overkill for your situation though, it may be frowned upon in this country. But hey, now you know not to try carjacking in South Africa if you should ever find yourself there.

Yea plus... I dont want Ned being blown up though :/