Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater core hoses anywhere?

Not sure if I should put this in the WTB thread or here...im looking for a set of new hoses for the Heater core assembly...mainly the little short bypass hose that's a smaller diameter on one end. Anyone know where I could order them online? The closest dealerships parts manager had a question mark pop up over his head when I said brat so I don't think they will be finding me any anytime soon.

Picture shows the ones I have, the long ones are in OK shape but if im going to use this thing id like to go ahead and replace them since its such a pain to get to them. The little one def needs to be replaced. Oreilly's has one similar but its the same diameter all the way through so won't work.

IMG_20120413_192410.jpg

Nightmare!

If all else fails, maybe a 90degree brass elbow from a pumbers shop?

That is what i ending up using! I replaced all the hoses so needed 3 brass elbows, if I remember correctly. Also means there are lots of hose clips needed but my set up has not leaked in over 5 years.

do they have elbows with two different sized ends? And yes...nightmare indeed but thanks a ton for the suggestion! I am almost to the point where I just want to say screw it and leave the whole thing out of the car...would save about 20 pounds and lots of things to not have to worry about breaking/clogging/leaking in the future. I live in Texas so wouldn't be horrible not having a heater...but ive already spent $80 for this thing and a new bypass valve so would be a shame not to.

Not sure on the exact size, will try and measure tomorrow but did a quick search and found these for cheap at home depot...

627dc6a0-15bd-494d-a78b-484912da2e1c_300.jpg

So I guess I will be trying to use one of these and two small sections of hose with some hose clamps. Really considered just eliminating all of it...would be nice to have a bunch of parts to not worry about breaking down the line but I figure ive already dumped that much into it I might as well at least give it a shot. But...If it starts leaking or I have issues with it in the near future...its all getting ripped out.

Ended up trying to make an elbow with 3 diff fitings and just couldn't get it to fit so ended up making the 1/2" hose fit on both the heater core and the 5/8" valve fitting! Basically used some needle nose inside to kind of stretch out one end and used some lube and crammed it on. Just bought a few feet of bulk 5/8" and 1/2" hose that should work for everything, just have to make a bigger curve to keep them from kinking.