Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New engine power issues; related to cams?

So the new engine is absolutely freaking gutless til about 4k rpm (which is as high as I'm revving it for the first 500 miles) I know the timing is correct, new pulleys and tensioner. The glitch (I'm hoping) is that I have an "EA82 with an improperly sealed oil pump" amount of valve noise. I'm running the Delta 200 cams, set my valves to .008 intake and .010 exhaust. I caught wind that it should be .004 and .007 due to the cams from a random post on rs25, but never heard anything like that from Delta.

Is there any chance that the current valve clearance and cam set up could be causing that ridiculous powerband? Or should I be freshening up my old engine to stick back in?

Edited by cal_look_zero

Yeah, no. Still gutless under 3k and falls on it's face like it's running on 3 cylinders. All the plugs are good and have nice light brown coloring, all plug wires are good, injectors are all plugged in, no CELs... this is getting ridiculous.

I'm trying to rack my brain on this, but I'm so frustrated with it right now that I have tunnel vision of a waste of tons of hours and money.

Could the lash adjustment really cause that much of a stumble?

I'm going to pull timing covers tomorrow and look, but if I'm off by even a tooth, won't I have bent valves? (I'll rage, I just put all new valves in to the tune of $240)

Sohc heads right? Off one tooth will do just what you describe.

One tooth won't hurt anything. You need to be about 3-4 teeth off before bent valves become possible. If I had to guess its probably the passenger side. You get misfire codes pretty quick if the drivers side is off.

You did get Roller Rocker cams right? No oil holes in the lobes? The flat tappet cams don't work with the roller rockers. Not sure if that would explain the noise.

Sohc heads right? Off one tooth will do just what you describe.

One tooth won't hurt anything. You need to be about 3-4 teeth off before bent valves become possible. If I had to guess its probably the passenger side. You get misfire codes pretty quick if the drivers side is off.

You did get Roller Rocker cams right? No oil holes in the lobes? The flat tappet cams don't work with the roller rockers. Not sure if that would explain the noise.

pfffft, threw a cylinder 4 misfire on the way to work today.

You're psychic. Ok, guess I'll re-time it tomorrow before work.

pfffft, threw a cylinder 4 misfire on the way to work today.

You're psychic. Ok, guess I'll re-time it tomorrow before work.

Shut up man don't tell everyone! :lol:

J/K I'm no psychic, I had my own adventure with off-a-tooth-timing not too long ago.

Racked my brain for three days trying to figure that out. I had checked the timing three times, and was absolutely sure it was right. One tooth on the drivers cam. Ran fine until the engine warmed up. Didn't feel down on power until I got the timing right and realized just how much more power it had with the new Delta cams vs the old stock ones. Once it was warm it started misfiring and I got codes for all 4 cylinders at random. Stupid timing belt. :lol:

Shut up man don't tell everyone! :lol:

J/K I'm no psychic, I had my own adventure with off-a-tooth-timing not too long ago.

Racked my brain for three days trying to figure that out. I had checked the timing three times, and was absolutely sure it was right. One tooth on the drivers cam. Ran fine until the engine warmed up. Didn't feel down on power until I got the timing right and realized just how much more power it had with the new Delta cams vs the old stock ones. Once it was warm it started misfiring and I got codes for all 4 cylinders at random. Stupid timing belt. :lol:

It threw a cylinder 4 last night, but I had been jiggling wires and messing with injectors so I attributed it to that, flashed it, and kept scratching my head.:banghead:

Ran fine until the engine warmed up. Once it was warm it started misfiring and I got codes for all 4 cylinders at random. Stupid timing belt. :lol:

engine temp sensor? this part is the bane of ea82t performance(or running correctly, i should say) You might be able to cross reference with nissan for this part.

Well, it wasn't the timing. And it wasn't the crank or cam sensors. As a last "eh, what the hell?" effort, I put the old plug wires back in. Runs like a top now...

speechless.gif

Needless to say, that is the LAST set of Borg Warner wires I ever have the misfortune of running. Kind of awestruck that a brand new box of wires could be bad, but I guess stranger things HAVE happened.

:drunk:

$42 on Amazon and free shipping!

Friend of mine just picked up a set of NGK wires for his taurus on amazon for $13, and his mom is a prime subscriber so he got them shipped second day for free. :eek: They were half the price of the cheap wires at the parts store.