Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to disconnect positive battery cable from fuse box?

Hello,

I have a 1994 Legacy wagon. I posted a few days ago about whether I need to replace or simply clean my battery cables (my car won't start unless I jiggle the very corroded positive cable). It seems like a good idea to simply replace them.

I looked under the hood and could easily discern the path of all the cables and the bolts and whatnot connecting and supporting them.

However, the short cable going to beneath the fuse box confounded me. I couldn't immediately see how to access the bottom of the box. After a little messing around, I saw how I could unbolt the fuse box in the front and rear (a single bolt attaches the fuse box and the wiper fluid reservoir from what I could tell). I removed the bolts but didn't feel like prying up the fusebox until I got some confirmation of what I was ultimately trying to do.

So, am I thinking along the right lines? How is this cable connected at the fuse box? Is it okay to move the fuse box around once I remove the bolts securing it?

I searched both here and on google and came up with very little on how to specifically go about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

sounds about right.....what your doing is wanting to flip or at least access the bottom of the fuse box to remove the bolt that hold the positive side terminal to the fuse box right? thats exactly what i would do just be careful not to rip out any wires..... :)

yup, undo the 2 bolts you mentioned, and wiggle the box up out of its location. There is a plastic cover over the bottom that will pop off without too much effort.

I believe the wire you are after is the "bolted on" one - kind of like the alternator main feed wire.

(recently had my box apart looking for corrosion...)

Prolly a good idea to disconnect one of the cables from the battery before working further with the fuse block, if you haven't already considered this.

Yeah, disconnected the battery and took it out.

Thanks everyone, just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to rip something off the car.