Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 93 legacy SS turbo and i broke the trans.

there is a guy with a 5MY from a 2002 Impreza TS and i think it will work but i need to see if i need to swap out the rear end or any other parts at the same time.

from what i have seen they are both push types so it should fit right in.

any ideas on other items i need to check or replace at the same time?

i have a 93 legacy SS turbo and i broke the trans.

there is a guy with a 5MY from a 2002 Impreza TS and i think it will work but i need to see if i need to swap out the rear end or any other parts at the same time.

Hydro clutch for sure. Swap pedal boxes and mount up the master and slave and you'll be fine. That's you're only option really if it's a pull type clutch.

If it's a push type, you could just swap the pivot position, and use the cable fork.

The big thing that comes to my mind is that the newer 5spds are a few inches shorter than the first gen ones. might make an issue for driveline and shifter.

• 1 month later...
The SS uses a pull type turbo clutch system. The TS will not work.

GD

Sure it will. it's just like lego's. You will need a couple of other parts though. The clutch master cylinder, the slave cylinder and hose. A hydraulic pedal assembly. You will need the matching rear diff as well. You may need to do some driveline work as well. But with a little work it will all bolt up.

Now, don't the SS legos use a push type clutch and the later style use a pull type? Doesn't push/pull represent the action used to activate the T/O bearing?

Pull-type clutch is used on turbos only. The throwout bearing is "pulled" toward the transmisson by the clutch fork - its "pulls" on the pressure plate fingers

Push type has the throwout pushing into the pressure plate. It "pushes" on the pressure plate fingers.

GD

I reread this again. If the SS uses a pull type then it uses the same style as '02 and later hydraulic and the TS would be the same.

No, a TS will be the non-turbo 2.5l right? It will be a push clutch, the slave cylinder is mounted to the engine side of the release fork. If it was a turbo, legacy ss, wrx, fxt, ect, then it will be a pull clutch and the slave cylinder will be mounted to the transmission side of the release fork.

You can use a push clutch transmission in a pull clutch car, you just need to swap the pressure plate to go with it. I think, but am not sure the flywheel is the same. I know the clutch disks are.

I thought the legacy ss used a push clutch, in fact, I'm quite sure it does.

Regardless, to swap a push clutch car to a pull clutch transmission. You need to change the flywheel, pp, and clutch disk. Obviously need pull TOB as well.

The master and slave cylinders need to be changed, too.

I thought the legacy ss used a push clutch, in fact, I'm quite sure it does.

It does NOT use a push clutch. No EJ series turbocharged MT used a pusher clutch till the EJ255 was introduced. The EJ22T uses a pull clutch like all EJ turbo's including the present day EJ257 in the 2012 STi. I own a '91 SS with a full Exedy clutch kit and lightweight flywheel for an '02 WRX. 100% Bolt in replacement. The only change is a stronger PP and 3mm larger diameter disc.

Regardless, to swap a push clutch car to a pull clutch transmission. You need to change the flywheel, pp, and clutch disk. Obviously need pull TOB as well.

The master and slave cylinders need to be changed, too.

Correct - no part of the systems are interchangeable. The pressure plates will not mount to the opposite style flywheel and the clutch discs are a different diameter. Slave is on the opposite side of the fork and the master and lines correspond to the size and location of the slave.

An '02 TS is a NON TURBO with an EJ251 and will have a push clutch style system. It is not directly compatible and is after the '99/'00 5MT switchover. It will require a different driveline, different exhaust hanging system, different linkage, etc. It's really not worth the work for a non-turbo tranny. It would be easier and you will get a better clutch with more holding power and stronger transmission by sticking with the turbo transmissions.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

The clutch disc is the cheapest part of the equation. Flywheel, pp, and TOB are expensive parts. Why not throw a quality turbo disc in there at the same time.

Sure an NA one will work in a pinch, but if you're going to do it, do it right.