Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 loyale

:horse:cannot remove distributor. trying to repair crank aangle sensor problem.

Wait wait wait......

Distributor AND crank angle sensor!?

Ummmm, what exactly are you working on........

I'm not familiar with any Subaru's that have both......

1993 loyale 1.8 vin 4.i was told the crankshaft position sensor,the camshaft position sensor, and the ignition module are in the distributor and cannot be serviced. replace the entire distributor as a unit to repair ecu codes 11 and 13. any help would be greatly appreciated!

1993 loyale 1.8 vin 4.i was told the crankshaft position sensor,the camshaft position sensor, and the ignition module are in the distributor and cannot be serviced. replace the entire distributor as a unit to repair ecu codes 11 and 13. any help would be greatly appreciated!

OK, that makes more sense. I was thinking you were trying to remove the disty, and then I was picturing a crank position sensor in the front of the engine and question marks were in my eyes....

I'm gonna go with yes on the removal/replacement of the disty. Are you 100% sure it is the problem??

i am not sure. wife broke down on highway. timing belt(left) shreaded. replaced both belts. still no fire from coil.new coil still no fire. ecu says codes 11 and 13. nxt step dist replacement?dist cap removed ,electrics unplugged, asjustment/hold down bolts removed. have to use hammer and punch to get dist to turn.will NOT lift out!:horse:

forget the code. You will get the code when the key is on and the engine is not running anyway.

if there is no spark, the little transistor thingee on the coil bracket may be your problem.

be sure that the coil is wired correctly.

check fuse #5 as it supplies the ecu.

the yellow wires are negative, the black wires are positive on the coil.

IF the car quit when the timing belt broke, the timing belt was the problem.

don't spend the $$$ on another disty to have it still not work.

get a piece of lumber and butt it to the ears on the disty and tap it with a hammer to work it back and forthh. There is an o-ring on the shaft that gets hard and makes it stick.

If you are installing the belts yourself, pay attention to crank rotation so you don't trick yourself into thinking the valves are bent and the engine is done because the cams are out of phase. Don't let a hired mechanic make that mistake, either, as it is a common mistake with non-soob oriented mechanics.

If the belts were installed wrong, you will still get spark. Check to make sure that the rotor is turning! there is a set screw that can fall out mimicking a timing belt failure.