Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water Pump/Tensioner Questions

Hello all,

I need a little advice on some parts that I'll be ordering soon for the reseal.

I'm looking at RockAuto and they have a couple of water pumps. One is 4 5/16" and the other is 4.087".

Vehicle is 1985 GL-10 Wagon, A/C, PS. the a/c pump is between the PS and the alternator (I guess that means factory or dealer installed).

So what water pump do I need? Any advice on brand names?

Also, looking at timing belt tensioners. They have a few brands out there. Any suggestions on a good brand?

Thank you all... I appreciate it. Ron W.

Photo-0092-1.jpg

Photo090bolts.jpg

If your waterpump looks like the ones above I recommend the Duralast BWP-683

Which is the water-pump pictured in the lower photo and can also be seen here http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-New-Water-Pump/1993-Subaru-Loyale/_/N-j01jiZ8ii0v?itemIdentifier=17509_387998_10947_

If you want to try and find it cheaper can always look on Ebay.

I'm currently running these exact pumps in my GL and my Loyale with no problems. They are good quality.z

Pretty sure this is the pump you have in your vehicle.

It may be hard to tell with the clutch fan attached to it, but after removing that fan and the pully (once the bolts are removed for the clutch fan the pulley just slides off) you can see it well.

If you need a write-up on the waterpump replacement, I've got one on here that I could direct you to.

Edited by l75eya

Water pump length is determined by the AC - if it was factory equipped with AC it uses one hub height and if it wasn't it uses another. I can't remember which is which at the moment. Personally I would buy both (either Aisin or NPW and those are the ONLY brands I will use) and just use whichever one it takes.

Duralast (as with virtually everything from Vatozone) is crap. I refuse to shop there.

For tensioners - just order the belt/idler/tensioner kit from ebay for $65 shipped.

GD

thank you both for the replies. I tried to measure to waterpump, but seems impossible with the fan, pulley and all in the way. Maybe I'll call the Subaru dealer to see if he can get me a height before I order.

I'll check ebay for the tensioners. That's a pretty good price if both belts, tensioners and the idler is included. Thanks for the lead, Rick.

Okay, off to class now. Ron W.

Okay, so if GD is correct and one type of waterpump is on the vehicles with factory AC and one is on the vehicles with dealer installed AC...that means that the duralast waterpump I have linked to and have installed in my GL and Loyale is the one that goes on the vehicles with factory installed a/c.

Factory installed a/c = inboard compressor outboard alternator.

Your gl10 is dealer installed ac, correct? From left to right the alternator is in-board and the a/c compressor is outboard?

If that is the cased, based on GD, you need the OTHER waterpump. Not the one I have linked to and photographed.

To determine which one to eliminate, click the autozone link and look at the dimensions. You need the other one. ;)

No - he said the AC is between the PS and Alt. That is inboard - which is factory AC. Also it's a GL-10 which would ALWAYS have factory AC.

Irregardless - don't get a water pump from Autozone, or GMB, or any of the regular parts chains - they are cheap and the failure rate is high. The NPW and Aisin pumps are both made in Japan and are of very high quality.

GD

he said the AC is between the PS and Alt

Misread that, I stand corrected.

In that case the dimensions you need are listed in that link and you can get any waterpump following those guidelines.

I, personally, haven't had any issues with the cheap-o duralast (knock on wood) however, that's not to say others haven't as well. Guess I've been lucky. They do come with a lifetime guarantee as well so with the new (to me) news of their higher failure rate I still feel a bit rest assured, but at any rate! Hope you're able to get the parts you need!

+1 i always get the EA82 kits for these (or used to before they all rusted away over here).

I, personally, haven't had any issues with the cheap-o duralast !
probably volume related, some folks (like GD) are doing gobs of Subaru work - they're seeing dozens or hundreds of different subaru's and can see failure rates that most people would never see just doing a few things here and there.

They do come with a lifetime guarantee
"lifetime guarantee" can mean little - even the opposite of what most people assume. some lifetime warranty items are the worst - they produce or rebuild to the lowest possible bar and therefore save money - making it easier for them to offer a lifetime warranty (doesn't cost them much) - and they're typically selling to people who won't likely have a return or bother - older cars, higher mileage, cars with issues, people working on other folks cars...etc. i've never heard of a lifetime on a water pump but in alternator and starter world it generally means it's a low grade product. keep that in mind when alt/starter shopping.

for 1985 gl-10, assuming it is spfi, will have the long water pump.

the easiest way to twell is if the warer pump has studs the ulley slides over, it is the long one (110mm). If the puley itself has studs in it, and the pulley bolts onto the pump, then you have the short pupm (105mm).

the short pump is typically on turbo models with the inboard alternator and outboard AC

"lifetime guarantee" can mean little - even the opposite of what most people assume. some lifetime warranty items are the worst - they produce or rebuild to the lowest possible bar and therefore save money - making it easier for them to offer a lifetime warranty (doesn't cost them much) - and they're typically selling to people who won't likely have a return or bother - older cars, higher mileage, cars with issues, people working on other folks cars...etc. i've never heard of a lifetime on a water pump but in alternator and starter world it generally means it's a low grade product. keep that in mind when alt/starter shopping.

I bought a water pump from Kragen many years ago with lifetime warranty. It lasted me only 40000 miles. Few months ago it failed but Oreily honored the warranty.

And no on rockauto. Their database is very inaccurate.

Good luck,

Sam

OK then. I've done my homework. Let me first say, thank you to all for the input. And yes, GD, I would gladly buy both a long (110mm) and a short (105mm) waterpump... if RockAuto sold both sizes in the Aisin brand... but they only sell one Aisin (Part #WPF007), and they do not say what the height is. So, I did search and found Aisin Part #WPF133 at AutoPartsWarehouse, and it says it is the 105mm version. But no size on the WPF007.

Further searching tells me that 1985 EA82 GL's n/a look like this...

w/o AC = 110mm

w Dealer AC = 110mm

w Factory AC = 105mm

and no mention of whether it is SPFI, MPFI or carbed.

And, now... that contradicts MilesFox.

So much for ordering my parts upfront, huh? I'll pull the engine this weekend, pull the pump, measure it on a flat surface and then order it. All I need to know is this... What is the height of the Aisin #WPF007?

And who carries the NPW? Have not seen any of those online.

Sucks not having any good parts stores in Tillamook. NAPA is closing soon... and that leaves O'Rielly... which is worthless.