Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swaping 3spd Auto for a 4 spd hi lo in 1985 Brat?

Guys I am seriously thinking about buying a 1982 Brat DL parts truck and installing the 4 speed hi / lo tranny in this parts truck in my 1985 Brat GL which currently has a 3 seed auto (which I really dislike).

I ASSUME that there is nothing different on a Auto tranny Brat that would prevent me from installing all of the manual tranny parts. I know I will need to do a lot of work, clutch pedal, console shifters, front and rear diffs, tranny,....etc...

I am tired of the poor performance with the Auto tranny. My 1985 GL Brat gets 22 mpg around town and about 25-26 on the hwy. I have been told that with the 4 speed I can get 30-32 mpg, Is that realistic?

I am also going to install a Weber 32/36 or maybe a slightly larger Weber.

And after the work is done, I can make a little money selling my 3 speed that works fine, and all of the extra parts from this parts truck ( with the rusty bed) to earn a little extra money.

I would really appreciate any opinions from you guys!

thanks,

Tony P

Edited by Tonyp5143
fixing poor spelling!

Back in my 4-speed, Webber carbed '81 GL (EA81), I got ~25 MPG average. But the engine wasn't running right, so I'd say 30 MPG is realistic if you drive it like an old person. If you can, get a 5-speed. I don't know anything about the Brat, so I can't say if it'll work. But try for a 5-speed if it'll work. Converting it to hi-lo will also probably be difficult, but again, I don't know.

4 speed will be about 25 to 27 MPG in mixed driving. Over 30 will be with 100% freeway driving on long trips.

4 speed's are junk - 3rd gear syncro issues, lousy linkage system that's always loose - skip it and go to the 5 speed.

DL will have a single range 4 speed in it anyway. High range only.

GD

The last driveshaft I had made (5 speed trans means you need to lengthen the driveshaft) ran me $200 with U Joints.

Then the $100 plus shipping for the kit from Bratsrus1

A little wiring for the reverse and lo lights.

IMO worth it.