Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am replacing my rear struts and mounts on my 98 Impreza L because the one side was completely shot but I'm not sure if I should replace the springs as well. On my last Subaru, a 95 Legacy w/224k, the front left spring snapped one day while just sitting in the driveway and sliced the tire, thank God I wasn't driving when that happened. I obviously want to save money, as I'm currently jobless, but safety comes first. What do you guys typically do when a car has 180-200K. Is it safe to keep using the originals?

Spring breakage is an all too common thing these days, but it's mostly due to rust rather than mileage or age. The rear springs on these do tend to wear out and sag when they get old. If the back of the car looks like it's low, even when there's nothing in it, chances are the springs need to be replaced. Worn springs can lead to early failure of new struts. But I think making the call on replacement would depend on how long you plan to keep the car and certainly what your budget is like. New springs aren't a necessity, you can probably pick up a set of used springs cheap and install those instead. If you;re really strapped for cash go the junkyard route. Get a set of struts w/ springs from a junk car. Most U pull it places seem to charge only about 30 - 40 for a whole strut assembly. Find some that look clean and aren't leaking and chances are they'll be fine. I put a junkyard set on my sedan about 2 years ago and they are still holding up great.

"We had to sit through all that crap just so you could show us the Shrink Ray?!?!?!" [/shake]

Spring breakage is an all too common thing these days, but it's mostly due to rust rather than mileage or age.
The 95+ subarus actually had a recall for the springs breaking

Yep... and if I remember correctly from the recall, it was because of paint quality or painting defects that the springs would rust and break.

So if your current springs still have good paint and aren't rusted, then you might be safe from the problems your '95 had. icon14.gif