Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 SUS to 02 OB sedan H6, Yay or Nay?

Considering selling my 99 SUS to buy a 2002 Outback sedan with the six cylinder. They said the engine was replaced at 60k and the car now has 180k, I'm not at all familiar with the sixes. Anyone have thoughts they would like to volunteer, and would I have to run premium gas in the six cylinder engine?

Oh man, the SUS is the coolest sedan made by Subaru! That said...

The EZ30 engine is a very solid engine...IF you are religious about oil changes. The timing chain tensioners are inside that front cover and are lubricated by the engine oil. They will gum up and fail if you are lax about oil changes. Totally a zero-clearance engine, you can barely surface the heads without putting the whole timing chain setup out of tolerance.

Your gas mileage is going to take a hit. I had a '97 Outback Limited with manual trans. before I got the '02 LL Bean Outback I drive currently. I got 29mpg average with the '97: I'm lucky to get 24mpg with the '02. (Part of that is due to the extra 3 lbs. of lead in my right foot :o)

Here in Denver, I can run mid-grade gas. If I got to your altitude, I would need premium. More oxygen = need to use higher octane fuel.

Oh, and don't even think about working on the engine yourself unless you really know what you're doing. Doing the spark plugs is nearly as bad as the SVX. (I mean, have you actually looked under the hood of that car?!)

IF the car has been properly maintained, the mileage isn't bad. If not, you're looking at a very expensive repair.

Hope this helps. :)

Emily

I guess my negative reaction is the inability to easily work on the motor. Six cylinders packed under a Subie hood doesn't leave much room to work. For my money, I would rather have a 4 cylinder for better gas millage, with power that is sufficient.

Considering selling my 99 SUS to buy a 2002 Outback sedan with the six cylinder. They said the engine was replaced at 60k and the car now has 180k, I'm not at all familiar with the sixes. Anyone have thoughts they would like to volunteer, and would I have to run premium gas in the six cylinder engine?

the H6 motors are awesome engines. very reliable and low maintenance. excellent motors, that's why i currently drive two of them. both of mine and all my friends run lowest octane without any issues - i suspect your experience would be the same.

i don't know how common timing chain issues are but i haven't seen many, i wish i did so i could buy more of them cheap. LOL one of mine had timing chain noise when i bought it at 120k and it still has the same noise at 192k.

they don't get great mileage. although - i get 28 mpg on one road trip i do to visit family because it's all backroads at 50-60 mph. but that's the only time - it drops very quick as soon as you start going faster, using the pedal, etc. i'd say 22-23 is average.

when you go to replace the spark plugs just do the valve cover gaskets at the same time, that makes the job much simpler by giving you more clearance.

if you get an H6 - buy bearings for the serpentine tensioner and idler pulleys (same bearing like a 6203 or something). there's also a $10 DAYCO pulley available at any parts stores that will swap out with them as well. they fail *all* the time, very frequently.

i made the same move - last summer i had a 99 SUS and came across this 03 OB Sedan H6 for really cheap because of transmission issues so i got it and sold the SUS. both are great cars. the 99 EJ25D engine of course has headgasket issues so i don't mind getting rid of that possibility eventhough i can fix it myself i'd rather not!

Go for the H6. The ride is better in that car and the engine is one of the better ones they made in my opinion. I have had my 02 L Bean wagon for about 50,000 miles now. I did the bearing and pulleys as a preventive maintenance piece at about 80K and oils changes.

Great Motor, Lots of giddy up at the entrance ramp etc....

Replace, and then carry spare serpentine belt and idler/tensioner and the H6 ought to be reliable. I would love to have one and I hate cramped engine compartments. I can do a plug change on one in an hour-its not that much harder than the 2.5 4 cam. The coilpacks come out easier than heated spark plug wires do sometimes.