Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broken Head Bolt.

I was doing the head gaskets on a EA82 yesterday and one of the headbolts snapped off down in the block.... So without really thinking I tried to drill it out, of course I didn't do it exactly straight so now I have an even bigger problem, long story short I took it to a machine shop but the guy there wasn't too optimistic about getting it all straightened out and the threads fixed etc.

So I have begun researching what I am going to do next. In theory I could just put a different(junkyard or whatever) half of the block on, and swap out pistons and be good to go right?

Has anyone else had this happen and what did you end up doing? Thanks in advance for any help.

That's kinda what I was thinking too. In any case, swapping out both halves wouldn't be too bad considering how far into it I already am. Plus might learn something.

It's extremely difficult to kill a Subi. Go for it, or continue to get input here... I guarantee you it isn't dead yet.

A shotgun couldn't put one of these badboys down.

whatever you end up doing just make sure you disassemble the broken motor first before you split up another SB. that way if its too much of a pita you still have a plan B instead of plan A and a half

I am lookin at one here that has already been split I am assuming, the guy said I would need to put the pistons back in it so I am assuming it will be split.

I am thinking about just swapping out the half that got buggered up. If things fit together nice and close I will just put a little extra sealant on there and hope for the best. Thanks for the input guys

Did you try using a bolt extractor after drilling the hole?

Have a machine shop drill the block and install a Time-sert thread repair. They make thread insert kits for specific applications, such as spark plugs and cylinder head bolts. Determine the thread size you need and required thread depth with some simple measurements.

http://www.timesert.com/html/universalheadbolt.html

Half block replacement isn't a great idea if these are anything like the old VW and Porsche blocks. They machined the castings joined together, so bearing journals are offset from one block to another. The oil pump mating surfaces were usually offset as well, so the chance of getting the bearing journals lined up perfectly, and the oil pump to seal properly was slim to none.

Edited by Fairtax4me

I am lookin at one here that has already been split I am assuming, the guy said I would need to put the pistons back in it so I am assuming it will be split.

I am thinking about just swapping out the half that got buggered up. If things fit together nice and close I will just put a little extra sealant on there and hope for the best. Thanks for the input guys

the guy you talked to was me lol. the block is together but the pistons are out.

Did you try using a bolt extractor after drilling the hole?

Have a machine shop drill the block and install a Time-sert thread repair. They make thread insert kits for specific applications, such as spark plugs and cylinder head bolts. Determine the thread size you need and required thread depth with some simple measurements.

http://www.timesert.com/html/universalheadbolt.html

+1 repair what you have and be done with it. remove the bolt, repair the threads. i haven't seen it so post pictures of the damage, but i bet i wouldn't be too scared.

if a machine shop hesitates i tell them i'm confident it's going to work, and am okay if it doesn't.

thread repair inserts are extremely effective, seems worth a shot.

+1 repair what you have and be done with it. remove the bolt, repair the threads. i haven't seen it so post pictures of the damage, but i bet i wouldn't be too scared.

if a machine shop hesitates i tell them i'm confident it's going to work, and am okay if it doesn't.

thread repair inserts are extremely effective, seems worth a shot.

That's almost exactly what I told them. I think hes going to try to use a insert so I am crossing my fingers for the best. I would post pics but its at the shop now. I think the main issue is that when I was drilling the hole got off a bit and I actually drilled a bit of the block out. So if you look down it at the end the holes are about 1/4 inch off centers at the ends. Maybe with an enlarged bit and insert he can make something work, like a larger bolt or something like that. Thanks a bunch for all your guys input.

Sounds like a mess - I've done heli-coil's on EA82's and frankly it's a pain in the neck even without having the hole drilled all wonky. He's likely going to have to *mill* the hole out at this point.... and that's just not really cost effective when you can pickup used EA82 short blocks for $75 to $125.

I say throw it away and put the machine shop money into a good used engine or short block.

These just aren't cost effective to repair when damaged to that degree.

GD