Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ohhhh, oil filters. What the french, toast?

From having done enough buy n sells on Subarus, I know that the Fram filter for both the 2.2 and 2.5 engines is the 3593A; also the same filter as my Montero Sport. Bearing in mind, I don't personally run the Frams, but they're good enough for cars I'm selling. Anywho, I have been running the Purolator 14459 on my 2.2, when interestingly enough, it's a 14460 for my Montero Sport. I can't say what the difference between the 2 was, but I go with what the fitment chart tells me to.

Fast forward to my frankenbuild, I spun a 14459 Purolator on and thought nothing of it. Mostly out of complacency, I never thought to see if the 2.5 used a different filter. The 2.5 uses the 14460. Here's where I get confused. The Bosch filter is a 3310 for both the 2.5 and the 2.2, but is a 3312 for my Montero

After seeing a bunch of wet spots on the driveway, I checked the filter and it had a droplet at the bottom. I tightened it down a bit more but it has a drip about every 30 seconds. I'm obviously going to change it out tomorrow, but does anyone think this is a fitment issue, or a quality issue?

I guess I'll pay more attention next time...

Since they are practically the same, I am thinking it may be a difference with the rubber gasket that forms the seal. Maybe there is a thickness difference, or slight width difference. There in could be the cause of the oil drip.

You may want to contact tech svc with one of the filter mfgers., and ask them the question.

it seems like oil filter leaks are common enough that it could be a compromised gasket/seal and may not happen again with the same filter.

14460 is the oil filter for 2.2's and 2.5's as far as i know. (matching frams same filter for both part number).

14459 is the EZ30 6 cylinder oil filter.

fairly certain they interchange just fine and shouldn't leak. i'm almost positive i've done it before and others have as well.

i wouldn't worry too much about cross-referencing and interchanging between models and makes. it's not that uncommon for parts to interchange but have different part numbers - it happens with a myriad of other parts too - sensors, solenoids, batteries, boots, bolts, nuts, etc..

My Kubota B7100 tractor uses the same Fram and Purolator oil filters as EJ22's and EJ25's, that 3593a and 14460 joker!!! I noticed but don't spend any time deducing or interpretting the cross-vehicular implications in that.

the H6 filters are said to have more filter media in them.

Overtightening of the square cross-section gaskets will cause them to bunch up. You need to REMOVE the gasket from the filter, lubricate both sides of it, and then install it evenly by pushing it down into the filter body in a star pattern. Then install hand tight plus 1/8 turn.

More tightness will only result in further leakage or compressing the gasket till the filter body touches the block.

Fought with this many times on large compressor filters. Even did some tests with lubricated and unlubricated gaskets and torque wrenches - proved that you can't make them seal with more torque.

One of the reasons the OEM filter is much superior is that it has a captured gasket that is incapable of bunching.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I've always used the purolator 14460, never had any trouble with leaks around the filter. I spin it on until it stops then give it another half turn or so. I don't really pay attention to how far it turns, I just know how tight it needs to be for me to be able to remove it by hand.

14459 doesn't have an anti-drainback valve; 14460 does. And this may account for the difference in design of the end caps.

Many other makers of filters for Subarus will include this valve in order to cover different applications. I'm guessing that the 14459 lacks the valve because as a former OEM supplier, Purolator made this filter specifically for Subaru.

Edited by hohieu
clarity

I've always used the purolator 14460, never had any trouble with leaks around the filter. I spin it on until it stops then give it another half turn or so. I don't really pay attention to how far it turns, I just know how tight it needs to be for me to be able to remove it by hand.

That's how I screw on my purolator as well, I also put a little oil on the gasket before putting it on however.

• 2 months later...