Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I searched a lot and most overheating problems have the same symptoms but mine is a little different than anything I've found answered...

occasionally my wagon will overheat. when it overheats I can see the coolant over-boiling into the reservoir and onto the street. It appears the coolant is not circulating well.

I have disconnected the radiator at both ends and ran water through just fine. when I try to flush water through the engine only a little flow comes out the bottom. I believe the t-stat could be froze?

the fans come on and the heater blows hot air as long as there is still coolant in the system. once it boils out not more hot air...

when it is indicating it's overheating it doesn't feel any different than normal

Welcome to the USMB.

Is your Legacy a non-turbo or turbo? I'm going to assume non-turbo. On the non-turbo Legacies there is a little bleeder screw on the passenger side of the radiator. This needs to be removed during filling of the cooling system to make sure you don't get an air pocket.

What you've described with the water coming out of the engine sounds normal. The thermostat should be closed when the engine is "cold". How many miles are on the car, and do you know the last time the thermostat has been replaced? If not, I might suggest replacing it. I would only suggest using a Subaru thermostat. Some have also recommended the new Stant Xactstat's, but I haven't had any experience with them yet. Here's a link with more info.

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128919

If you bleed the system, replace the t-stat, and still have issues, chances are you might have a headgasket issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '92 non-turbo wagon and I too am having this same problem. I replaced the thermostat last Thursday and refilled it with coolant, and was careful to follow the procedures to avoid an air bubble, drove it all weekend with no issues. This morning I see the temp gauge getting hot on my 3 mile commute to work. The needle did not get buried in the "H" but was way past normal. When I checked the overflow bottle was empty, and so was my radiator. What should be the next move?

I have a '92 non-turbo wagon and I too am having this same problem. I replaced the thermostat last Thursday and refilled it with coolant, and was careful to follow the procedures to avoid an air bubble, drove it all weekend with no issues. This morning I see the temp gauge getting hot on my 3 mile commute to work. The needle did not get buried in the "H" but was way past normal. When I checked the overflow bottle was empty, and so was my radiator. What should be the next move?

Replace the radiator cap. Also, check hoses and sides of the radiator for leaks. You are loosing coolant somewhere. Any drip spots or puddles visible on the ground under the motor, when car has been parked for a while?

No drip spots on the ground, but there is evidence on the engine itself where it has been blown while driving. The 2 times this happened it was empty when I got home so there was really nothing to drip with the exception of what was in the block.

Sorry to oaklandish for the hijack, just seemed that our problem was similar.