Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AT to 5sp MT?

I'm considering purchasing a '84 4x4 gl wagon with an AT. Is it common to swap the AT for a 5sp MT duel range. I think I have the necessary parts from a '85 wagon but would probably hire someone to do the work. Are there any known complications or special modifications necessary? What should I expect the labor costs to be? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

You need quite a few parts - clutch and flywheel, pedal assembly and cable, transmission, driveline, rear diff, etc. The transmission tunnel on the auto is smaller than the manual and the 5 speed has trouble clearing even the manual transmission tunnel so you have to do some beating or cutting/welding in that area as well as tilt the transmission and engine a few degree's backward..... it can be done though.

GD

GD,

The AT wagon that I'm considering is already a 4x4 so I don't understand why I would need a rear diff. Maybe you didn't notice that detail. I'm surprized the trans tunnel is not common. So, if I gathered all the parts, how much do you think it would cost me to get it done? Thanks for the info.:drunk:

you will need an ea81 4spd 4wd or fwd 5spd mt trans crossmember to mount on the ea82 5spd dual range.

swap the trans, flywheel, and 2 piece driveshaft. you will have to invent a carrier bearing mount.

you might get away with using the ea81 pedal assembly as a whole unit in the ea81.

going that far, you can use the ea82 engine if you like.

use the 5 spds flywheel on the ea81 with ea81 flywheel bolts. notch out the bellhousing to clear the ring teeth.

i forgot to mention this being the swap is going from an AT. in a 4spd it wouldnt matter.

here is a tip: if you have trouble getting the axles off the diff or trailing arms, you can swap the whole thing. just change over the moustache bar, and make the holes on the recipient car for the trailing arm pivot larger to use the ea82 trailing arm and bolt. you will gain larger rear brakes, and they are a direct fit with the hole enlarged.

about 75% of that 85 is swappable to the 84, with the remaining 25% being mainly the body panels.

the swap will be something like building lego blocks with some tyco or mega bloks mixed in, but altogether will fit