Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to get my first WRX, but I need your help!

Long story short, I've finally found a WRX that I can afford but its about 3 hours away and all I have to go off of are the pictures because it's being sold by a dealer who seems to not know much about the car. So I decided to see if you guys could lend me a hand. Especially since this is gonna be my first Subaru and I have close to no mechanical experience.

It's an 02 Impreza WRX with 149k miles. The interior and exterior look like its been well kept cosmetically.

Here is a picture of the engine bay:

xqgvnm.jpg

I see that there is an air intake installed and I see the brackets where a sway bar used to be. Then I noticed the black thing off to the left. What I really wanna know is what is your impression on the picture alone? And can anyone tell me what that "thing" is? It seems to be a switch or something of the sort, but like I said, I have very little experience. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It's been modified. I would have a Subaru dealer do an inspection on it. ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE HEAD GASKET coolant "block test". It may cost you $100, but IF it saves you a nightmare THEN it's money well spent. And if everything checks out, then it's peace of mind. If the dealer won't let you do it, then WALK AWAY. I am leery about giving buying advice on a car that has been modified. Not always, but it usually means some kid thought it was a race car... :-\

I'll save you a 3 hour trip.

2002 and 2003 WRXs had the "glassbox" transmissions. If that's the original tranny, it will be looser than, well... Think hotdog down a hallway. It has a BOV, an inlet and hot air intake. It looks like it's been run hard and put away wet. The cone filter is dirty which implies lack of maintenance. Everything from a stealership is going to appear cosmetically sound; it's the little things to look for. Going off an average 10 year old exterior/interior and assuming tires are ok; I'd pay maybe $6500 for it.

I'll buy 200k+ NA subarus alllllll day. I won't touch a turbo with over 80k.

Run. Far.

Buy a nice clean 97-01 Impreza. Go for a 2.2, they're more noob friendly. I understand the turbo appeal, but not that one.

I was actually looking to get it inspected but there isn't a subaru dealer in that town, and I haven't had the time to make the trip myself. And I know what your saying, I was also worried about the whole "kid toy" thing, I don't wanna end up paying for a trashed car as much as the next guy.

Thank you for the reply, good to see that I can get some feedback here.

Edit:

And another reply, very nice. As I feared, it looks like I may be right about it being a toy. You also hit the price right on the head lol they are selling it for $6495. I was debating on getting a carfax but I wasn't sure how useful that information would be but it looks like I found the right place for advice. So as far as just a daily driver goes to start off I should stay away from this one? And out of curiosity, are you able to tell me what that switch looking device is?

Edited by mikecm

im glad to offer input. I flip cars so I know how a power washer, steam cleaner and shop vac can take 10 years out of an interior. A buffer and clay bar will do the outside. I would start with a impreza NA with 1.8 or 2.2. any turbo cars of the GL series are generally awful, and EJ25's before 05 are known for head gaskets blowing.

I have personally rebuilt one of those "paper mache" transmissions. They are a pain. Be careful

Well I really appreciate your guys' replies, it has saved me a lot of trouble lol I'd like to get into tuning when I get a hold of a decent car but it seems as if I may be jumping the gun, I will certainly keep the advice in mind when I continue my search.

1. It's been modified which means kids have probably raced it and beaten it HARD. That by itself is enough reason to walk away.

2. A good dealership could give you a good rundown on it's condition, but again, that's hit or miss. There's no guarantee that the guy looking it over is a Subaru guru or someone hired right out of tech school.

3. You are looking at a relatively high maintenance car with admittedly little mechanical experience. You'd be much better off with a more reliable Subaru than trying to breath life into an abused performance machine.

4. I had my own dealership for a few year. Buying from a dealer generally means A) You'll pay too much. And B) You'll be buying a car made to look as pretty as possible. I was one of the "nice guys" I didn't hide issues with the car. I washed them, fixed things, but sold them with full disclosure of issues that I knew about the car. Few dealers know much about cars to even know whether the car they are selling is sound or not. Even fewer would let you know anything otherwise if they did.

Dealers are very good at hiding things.

5. The amount of aftermarket plastic in there suggests poor taste and even poorer maintenance. An air filter shouldn't be that dirty unless this was a rally car, in which case, refer to number 1.

Welcome to the board! An Impreza is a fantastic car. Mine are 253k on an EJ22 motor and 210k on an EJ18. Both are running and driving daily. I would recommend going for a good naturally aspirated car as well. Far more reliable and plenty of pep. A turbo car will require a lot more wrenching experience or a lot more money. (or both.)

I agree with the other guys. This has been some kid's street rod. Just has that kind of "used up" look with the dirty after market air filter and crazy painted fan belt. What's with the top radiator hose painted red?

I have no idea what the switch is in the picture. That is not anything I have ever seen before. I am guessing you are talking about the switch just above the red rectangular shaped pad near the passenger shock tower.

My advise is to "pass" on buying this vehicle. Reliability would be questionable.

p.s. That alternator belt has been painted red, blue, white. U.S.A.? Puerto Rico? Some sort of tacky patriotism going on under the hood.

It's a Dayco belt. That's how they are.

That Crucial sticker on the radiator support caught my eye. Quick search, it looks like it was a performance company that did porting and polishing, custom exhuast, etc. Appears they've gone by the wayside several years ago.

There are some clear braided hoses routed around that appear to be for a "Catch Can".

Rode hard and put up wet sums that one up well.

A lot of good points from some really smart guys.

He looks to have done some kind of custom rigging with the PCV lines. Unsure if it's a custom catch-can or what.

Also looks to have some kind of crap tapped into the boost control items on the passenger side strut tower. A strut tower brace was present but is now disconnected, as you noticed.

A bolt is missing from the left side of the TMIC.

The battery does not look to be secured. That's a big junk of weight to have bouncing around your engine bay.

It is an early 02 model due to the coolant filling port being painted black. The later 02 models was unpainted.

The intake setup just makes me cringe. He overcomplicated the process.

My bottom line: PASS You do not want this thing.

There are a ton of bugeye wrx's in the market right now.

Edited by Durania

2002 and 2003 WRXs had the "glassbox" transmissions. If that's the original tranny, it will be looser than, well... Think hotdog down a hallway.

The so-called "glass" transmissions are stronger than you think. The problem was the car suddenly attracted the kind of customer who liked sidestepping the clutch at 4k rpms to launch a car. Instead of the wheels spinning and releasing the shock load like a 2wd car, the transmission took the hit.

There are plenty of "glass" transmissions out there getting worked hard and not blowing up. I know one with 175k on it that's been the neighborhood beater for most of it's life and now has a ej257 shortblock in it. The rear transfer gears and center diff got shredded by the last previous owner doing donuts from dirt to pavement, so the box has lived a hard life. 1-5th are still fine and the synchros aren't even notchy. For a $2300 wrx it was a good deal. The 2.0 lasted a year before it spun 2 rod bearings and we swapped the 2.5 in for $800.

The car the OP is looking at is a really bad gamble. It has ricer mods on it that do nothing for the engines performance but are indicators of the type of owner that had it before. Walk away. If the rod bearings aren't already gone, they're about to.