Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 water pump blown out ?

So i was re sealing my oil pump and putting everything back together and noticed that i was leaking some coolant off the right side of the water pump, which is lame because i just replaced it in december :banghead:

Anyways pulled it off and saw this: I dont think a water pump should look like this .. It kinda looks like a blown piston lol and sorry for the bad pics, Ipod cameras arent all that great .

80f7391f.jpg

8ee131a5.jpg

b7350b91.jpg

6012d392.jpg

Anyone ever had a water pump like this or fail in that short of amount of time ?

Edited by Skylar

Its a Master Pro Select, was like 48.99 from Oreill'ys

I took my old water pump out of the box and compared it to the one i made this thread about and they're kinda of similar; they both have like those gouges in around the diameter so maybe thats just how they are ?

Anyways i put some high temp rtv around the gasket and threw it back on. Seems to not be leaking ... At least i no longer have the TOD from re sealing the oil pump ! :banana:

What GD said, looks like just left overs from casting. That "piston" is the seal for the pump.

I've seen some Paraut water pumps on Ebay. Never heard of them before except on this board.

I've used several Aisin pumps, all have been very well made pumps.

water pump is not a good thing to cheapout on look at the end where berrings are make shure that aluminum is peaned over the berring the cheaper pumps are not and the berring can creap out i would use a subaru pump have had many many bad ea82 rebiuld pumps and cheapies that failed and do engine damage you get what you pay for