Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 4" lift all strut therory, no I'm not completely nuts.

86hatchback

So in the process of wanting to do a five lug swap on my hatch I've come across the idea of using Tribeca axles to get four inches of lift with just the struts. So my logic is this EA81 axles can't take extra lift. EA82's take about an inch. EJ axles seem to easily take two inches as they're at least two inches longer then ea81 axles. So since Tribeca axles are four inches longer then the EA81 axles could you in theory lift a rig 4" using Forester springs Outback struts and ea81 top hats or a lift block to adapt EJ top hats to ea81 cars.

The lower half would be handled by an EJ cross member with ea82 control arms. Seeing as EJ control arms are about a 1/4" longer then ea81 arms and the pivot points are moved two inches out on each side. Since you can put EJ axles on an ea82 car if you move each side out two inches it would accommodate the Tribeca axles. This would also correct the negative caster built into these cars.Just eye balling it the radius rods would be able to just be extended and use factory mounts. Best I can research you could use Tribeca inner tierods to soak up the extra length.

Two things I haven't been able to figure out are: How big the bolts are on EJ control arms vs the EA cars, and if The xt6' s have the same size bolt as the EJ cars? The second is since Tribeca's have male axle ends can you just pop the stubs out of the diff and slide in the Tribeca axles? Yes I know you'd have to split the cases. Oh this is a five speed not the stock four speed.

All this is just a theory a lot of it is based around how SK'o had his bobbed brat suspension set up, although I wasn't able to find much on that. Thoughts and input would be appreciated.

Edited by 86hatchback

You aren't going to get any useful answers from your computer. You will have to go out to the garage and try it for yourself.

Only thing I can tell you is that it's not going to be as easy as you think. I guarantee that none of that stuff will bolt together in a meaningfull way that yeilds a workable suspension system. Frankly you would likely be better to just fab all the simple bits from scratch rather than trying to use EA controls arms on an EJ cross member, etc. The stock parts are crap anyway - easily bent off-road.

GD

In my defense all my measurements i came up with was from getting under the cars and looking and getting out the tape. I wasn't sure about the crossmember combo is why i asked since i have the parts laying around, and in my head it sounded like it would solve a lot of suspension geometry problems. The main question I was trying to find out is if people thought the tribeca axles could handle a 4" lift.

As far as the length of the axles goes, the math would say it's possible. No idea about spline count/diameter etc. though. You'd be breaking new ground here.

Tribeca is pretty big by comparison to EA cars. Much more HP too. I'm sure the strength is there for what you're suggesting. But like GD said, there's always more too it.

Next step would probably be to get a hold of a junkyard Tribeca axle and start playing. See if it's practical to do your lift this way. I doubt it will be easy, but if you pull it off you'll have some fantastic ground clearance with 4 inches of suspension lift. Good luck! And post up pics and such of whatever discoveries you make.

Yeah there is always more to it. I looked at empi axles on rockauto since they show lengths and compared legacy and tribeca of the same year and the spline counts are the same both inboard and outboard. That's what got this whole idea started. Also that they use the same outter tierod part numbers only the inners where different. Now i just need the cash to start experimenting. Figured if i through this out there somebody with time and money might try it first.