Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So last fall I had my heads done, installed them (EJ22), during the instalation I broke a tooth off on the back of the crank sprocket would this cause the engine to backfire and no run properly at all & eventually stall? I have checked the timing about 12x and did compression check on cyl 155 to 165 for all 4. No check engine light. Checked the plugs 2 front ones were carboned up back ones looked like they didnt even fire.... I checked the sparkwires for proper connection.

(EJ22), during the instalation I broke a tooth off on the back of the crank sprocket would this cause the engine to backfire and no run properly at all
if you are talking about the tabs on the crank sprocket, like the ones in the pic below, the answer is most likely yes. frankly i'm surprised it runs at all. replace the crank sprocket.

the sprocket has 6 tabs on it and it triggers the spark. if you lost one of the ''spark'' tabs then that cylinder will not fire. i don't know what the other 2 tabs are for. but you can be sure they are needed.

cranksprocket-96at2-sm.jpg

correct crank timing alignment in pic below. you can just see the hash mark / line at the top of the sprocket at the rear.

cranksprocket-96at.jpg

cams use the hash marks. not the arrows, never the arrows.

IMG_3521.jpg

Edited by johnceggleston

Still vital for them to all be there. The ECU uses the tabs to determine the angle and speed of the crankshaft in order to time spark properly. This is making the ECU think the crankshaft is changing speed halfway through each revolution. This will trigger incorrect spark timing, and misfire codes.