Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Feedback carb to Weber

hello Subie Nuts. '85 EA 82 1.8l PowerSteering. No A/C. 4wd

I've got the engine torn down to the block. I Have all the replacement parts/gaskets in my possession now. Machining will be finished on Sat.

So it's time to put it all together now. However, I have the feedback carb with O2 sensor in the exhaust and etc. I'm going with a Weber... so I have 2 questions.

1. I see several models of the 32/36... which one do I need?

2. Do I need a different intake manifold... like one from a Hitachi carbed EA82?

Thank you all for your advice. I appreciate it. Ron W.

cool beans, Shawn. Thank you for post. So no problem with the single barrel vs the new double barrel Weber.

And, the computer runs the fuel pump when it sees crank signal, right? Which none of that is changing.

Ummm, in my haste to rid the Subie of the feedback carb... I did not take note of what wire hooks to the electric choke. Any knowledge of where this wire may be? Color... hopefully.

Off topic, can you PM me. I have some highly classified material I need to discuss with you.

On my '82 BRAT, with feedback carb originally, there was a 4 wire connector on the harness that went to the carb.

Going only from memory here, I recall 2 Light Blue wires in that connector that were "Key ON Hot".

I used one of those for the choke power feed on the Weber.

You could just run one from the 12 volt side of coil. Coil on, choke on.

VERY bad idea. Don't you suppose they sized the wire and fuse for the coil to the amps it is going to draw? So now you want to add a high-amp draw heating element to this circuit? That's just asking to start a fire.

GD

Good call, GD.

I will find a large guage wire from my harness to use. There should be one there from the feedback carb setup that was used for it's electric choke.

On a side note... I picked up a 16" x 24" piece of 1/2" glass yesterday. Got my 220 grit glued down (2 sheets)... and resurfaced one head in about 30 minutes. Turned out sweet.

The machinist here in Tillamook (only one) wanted $110 to resurface the heads. But he was heading South for vacation and won't be back till end of May.

Thank you for all your help. Rebuild is going slow... but steady.

Ron W.