Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gosh it's hot....

And I need AC. 1980 GL-5 2wd ea71, Looks to be a dealer installed system in it now, compressor is decent, but high side hose to condenser is fractured right at the flare.

No joy on local yards for spares. Any source of custom AC hoses, or does anyone here have a spare they want to sell?

Living in the desert, you'd think there were hundreds of places to do just that....

But I have found 3 within a 100 mile drive. And 2 of them want over 70 bucks for that hose. Sorry, I know enough about hydraulic hoses to know there is less than 40 bucks in hose there, even accounting for the labor and materials. The 2 fittings shouldn't be more than 4 bucks each, 2 feet of #6 barrier is like 8 bucks. I guess running the crimper accounts for the other 50 bucks.

I'm going to take the old hose to the junkyard and see if I can match fittings from some other vehicle.

I DID find an online place that does custom hoses VERY cheaply, but lost the link :cry:

Probably a little steep. I'm sure they gave you man-off-the-street pricing. If you got a business discount it would likely be about $50 for that hose. Which is completely reasonable IMO.

I have occasion to have a lot of custom hoses and such made and I deal with a company that gives me the discount of my former employer - which is hefty. I just recently had 6 stainless brake lines made composed of 6 feet of braided stainless hose and 14 couplings - all for $185.

GD

Probably a little steep. I'm sure they gave you man-off-the-street pricing. If you got a business discount it would likely be about $50 for that hose. Which is completely reasonable IMO.

I have occasion to have a lot of custom hoses and such made and I deal with a company that gives me the discount of my former employer - which is hefty. I just recently had 6 stainless brake lines made composed of 6 feet of braided stainless hose and 14 couplings - all for $185.

GD

Honestly, this hose shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks. Standard fittings, standard hose, under 2 feet long. The online place quoted me 24.66 shipped for 1 90* turned fitting with AN flare, 24" of #6 barrier and one straight AN flare.

I had a hydraulic hose made for a Massey Furgeson tractor from the 60's and it only cost me 62 bucks. No reason a smaller hose, with standard fittings should be MORE. It's nothing fancy or needing special order fittings. It's more of the "You need it so we are gonna ding you" pricing.

I may get tricky and use the same style of fittings and hose my 80 F150 has...That doesn't even use fittings but instead AC rated hose clamps. Really, the hoses push onto barbs on compressor and other parts and use hose clamps to secure them. The cutting edge of Dealer installs.....in 1980.

Rayeveritt.com used to make custom hoses for a great price, but no longer. I had all the hoses on my van made by him and years later they are still leak free. If you find another online place I'd be curious to know what it is.

I've decided I do enough A/C work that I bought a Mastercool crimper for about $150; for the price it makes great crimps. I buy fittings and hose from www.techchoiceparts.com, and ferrules from NAPA. The places around here won't put a new hose onto an old fitting so I'm pretty much forced to do it myself if I want to reuse the fittings.

www.mcmaster.com also has high pressure compression fittings, maybe you can just replace your flare with a compression fitting. I've used compression fittings before for A/C and power steering and they've worked out great.

Autoline transport, a licensed and bonded auto shipping company, offers door to door auto transport to anywhere in the continental US. Please contact us anytime to receive a free instant auto shipping quote to ship your Automobile, Truck, Motorcycle, or Boat. Call us at 800.991.2187 or Email quotes@autolinetransport.com. We are here 7 days a week to assist you for all your auto shipping needs..

http://www.autolinetransport.com/

:banana: