Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Emissions by the year

"cali" emmissions (that's not to say that the others didn't have any emmissions equipment, cause they do), went back to AT LEAST 82, because I have an example of an 82 Brat that had the computer feedback controlled C/W 1 barrel on it.

I reality, most of the Gen 2 cars and Brats have emmissions equipment - cat's and AIS's were standard even on cars without the feedback carb.

The only gray area years are 80 and 81..... maybe 82. Those years are kinda sketchy for me - some may have had the stuff, other maybe not.

GD

I don't know much about Cali cars, but for the 49-state models:

1980 is the only year for an EA81 without a catalytic convertor, but those were all 2wd automatics. (I have one.) Many EA71 cars were catless this year too.

I believe that the feedback carbs started in '81 on 2wd models.

4wd models did not get them until around '87 (unless they had the C/W carb).

Almost all have some kind of emmissions, all '81 and newer cars have at least some kind of air injejction system usually A.I.S. with reed valves. I think I heard once that all '81 cars had Cali emmissions (feedback carb W/Duty Solenoids) but that might not be right.

I do know that my '81 4X4 Hatch has Cali emmissions and feedback carb and it was sold new in here in Vancouver, Washington.

My '83 4X4 wagon has only an EGR and A.I.S.

My '83 2WD Hatch was the same.

I'd ask Richierich and his Dad.. They'll know