Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Am i killing my Cv's?

I have the front of my brat lifted as far as it will go. i recently replaced EVERYTHING on the front end, and the passenger side CV is already clicking...any suggestions? And also, the driver side sheared its 6th or 7th cotter pin whats up with that? I torqued it with a 3/4 breakover till a cheater-bar couldnt turn it. any and all suggestions are appreciated :D

the more angle you run your cv's at, the shorter their life will be

....having said that i wouldn't think that within the limits of the factory adjustments you will have a noticeable decrease in cv life....i'd be sus' about your cv being a dud from new/reman etc

as for the cotter pin eating....do you have the hardened factory washers on under the nut?....i replaced the factory washers when i did wheel bearing one time and had issues with the nuts coming lose and in my case bending but not breaking the cotter pins.

once i swapped the normal washers for hardened ones all issues went away

the more angle you run your cv's at, the shorter their life will be

....having said that i wouldn't think that within the limits of the factory adjustments you will have a noticeable decrease in cv life....i'd be sus' about your cv being a dud from new/reman etc

as for the cotter pin eating....do you have the hardened factory washers on under the nut?....i replaced the factory washers when i did wheel bearing one time and had issues with the nuts coming lose and in my case bending but not breaking the cotter pins.

once i swapped the normal washers for hardened ones all issues went away

yeah, i thought that. Ill try try the washer thing

If your Brat is Lifted, the Added Stress due to the Angle they Work, could be the Cause of premature CV Joints' Fail.

Here goes my Advise:

Read, Here: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118248

Kind Regards.

No lift, just adjusted all the way up at the struts. Ill keep that in mind next time though. thanks

What kinda axles are you using?

And don't mean to threadjack bratrod, but real quick, where can one ascertain those hardened washers (they are the concave ones, correct?) Are they avail through the dealer?

Master pro re-mans...

Reman and new CV's for these cars are a crap shoot.

They make noise out of the box, because the reman companies don't figure on the extreme angles that subaru CV's go thru. Espescially cranked up 4wd ones.

My advice would be crank your front end down until you actually need it.

Having a good reliable car is worth more than that 3/4 inch ground clearance.

Reman and new CV's for these cars are a crap shoot.

They make noise out of the box, because the reman companies don't figure on the extreme angles that subaru CV's go thru. Espescially cranked up 4wd ones.

My advice would be crank your front end down until you actually need it.

Having a good reliable car is worth more than that 3/4 inch ground clearance.

Great, ill try that