Ultimate Subaru Message Board

box coolant by radiator's blew out from coolant.

96' EJ25 DOCH outback wagon-

my girlfriend and i drove up hill from mountain pass.

we notice temp. gauge going climb up to overheat and saw smoking under the hood.

we pull over and saw the coolant box's by the radiator were broiling even inside the radiator broiling too. Seem coolant not even through into engine.

so, i was thought it's water pump broke and new replaced timing belt kits too, do am i right? what you think it's problem solving.

thanks.

Head gaskets

Classic head gaskets.

You just noticed the most telling symptom.

Most important thing is to not keep doing this. If you stop overheating it just HG replacement may do. Keep driving it and a 2.2 swap is the cure.

headgaskets. you can verify that we're right by either listening to us or going to the auto parts store and getting a kit that tests for exhaust gases in the coolant.

but my muffler had no coolant smoking?
that is not a failure mode of this engine, so you won't see that.

not all engines have the same failed headgasket symptoms. as a matter of fact no EJ25 from 1996-2010 will exhibit oil/water mixing or coolant out the exhaust, which are what some people typically look for. they don't fail that way.

headgaskets - they are pushing exhaust gases into the coolant - heating it and causing it to hydrolock, not ciculate, overheat, and boil.

If you need cam pulleys let me know.

I have a set of 4 I pulled for another member already pulled that he ended up not needing.

Usually folks just need the right side. I put them in a kit I call "the dreamers kit" or "I'm feeling lucky kit" often for folks that had a timing belt break or idler fail, valves collide, and they think it's just the cam pulleys that broke during the crash.

It includes both R side cam pulleys, a used timing belt, and used idler of your choice. Enough to make you realize jus thos screwed you are and that the engine needs to come apart. Then I have heads for when you realize what the real fix is. Again it's usually just the R side.

They will need the cam sprockets at some point anyways.

I seem to sell about 4 of these sets per year. Infact I'm almost out of them.

how is smart are you!

Really, i use large clamp lock on the belt make this stay before remove camshaft's sprocket.

No, you will break or chip the cam pulleys. Take the valve cover off, there's a spot on each cam you can grab it with a wrench, I think a 1 1/16 fits? It's been a while.

how is smart are you!

Really, i use large clamp lock on the belt make this stay before remove camshaft's sprocket.

I had a friend do that and he paid $100 for a new sprocket from the dealer because he needed the car running that weekend. The sprokets are fragile and the bolts holding them to the cam are usually brutally tight.

thats good for when i can install camshaft's sprocket...i need to know what torque on it?

I had a friend do that and he paid $100 for a new sprocket from the dealer because he needed the car running that weekend. The sprokets are fragile and the bolts holding them to the cam are usually brutally tight.