Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what replacement shocks for 2" lifted brat?

i scored some really cool used shocks, just the right size and amount of beef.

but the bottom piece was way too wide. so i ground it down, SLOWLY, so i didnt overheat the steel or the rubber bushing. looks good now, fits the bottom shock mount just fine and solid.

but the TOP shock mount, the crossbar piece. i couldnt get it to hammer out, and i WASNt gentle. i tried hammering it out with a 16oz claw hammer. didnt budge.

and even if it HAD come out easy, the other shocks i have, use a STEEL sleeve INSIDE the rubber bushing. so there is no forgiveness. it either fits or it doesnt. well, surprise surprise... it DOESNT.

what is a good shock to use for a mildly lifted, casual rally brat? i dont crawl. i just like to explore old logging roads, with a lot of windy, pitted, loose gravel and shallow mud. you know, pretty softcore driving compared to what some guys on here do with brats. let me put it another way, 215-65-15s with a/t tread are great for the terrain i deal with.

the main guy at shucks/oreillys said that rancho 5000s are nothing special, and i may as well just get 25 dollar monroes instead. but the problem there is that with a 2 inch lift, and OEM shocks, i will only have a 3 inbch travel. so why even bother lifting it? it will be LESS capable offroad with a 2 inch lift, than it was factory stock original. screw that....

i know you guys have found good shocks for a 2" lift. what is everyone using, that fits up clean and easy?

okay, i FOUND good shocks.

they are monroe. and they are OEM for a late 90s GMC Jimmy.

the bottom mount was a HAIR too loose. but i hammered in some bronze sleeves. they fit a 12mm bolt perfectly now.

i havent actually DRIVEN on the shocks yet, but they seem to work great.

they are a little bit beefier than the OEM brat shocks. fatness-wise.

and they are maybe 4 inches longer. they are just $26-dollar monroes. but

they look decent. they should hold up, im hoping.

my factory OEM KYBs were STILL useable, after 210,000 miles!!

if these last even 30,000 i will be satisfied, with my purchase.