Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I found a N/A loyale dyno run video

65 horses to the wheels...... I really hope my 86 GL is doin better then this or at least it does after the weber and exhaust are put on.

Nope. Weber will help with low end torque and throttle response. It will not change the peak HP or torque numbers.

Same goes for exhaust.

You will almost certainly make LESS power than a Loyale. Loyale's are fuel injected, higher compression, and were rated at 90 HP at the crank. You '86 carbed engine is rated at 84 HP at the crank.

GD

Thank you for the Link of the Video, Good Find! icon14.gif

My Weberized BumbleBeast really "Feels" like it has more than 80 Hp, (in my Butt Dyno) but the 25% loss for Driveline explains the Low Dyno Numbers.

I Wonder what Numbers could Give a Weberized and Well-Tuned EA82 FWD, anybody knows?

Kind Regards.

My SPFI EA82 3AT, feels like 65whp haha. But the power and torque does come in above 3000rpm.

yeah my 91 3at feels like about 65 hp.. which equals a 0-60 in way too dam long:horse:if someones in front of me on the on ramp going slowly, it takes for ever for me to reach 65. i used to think subaru drivers drove slowly because they wanted to. now i know they didnt have a choice.:lol:

i wonder what numbers a ea82t would produce.my gl10 it did 0-60 in around 10 seconds.. and i could reach 65 in 2nd.

yeah my 91 3at feels like about 65 hp.. which equals a 0-60 in way too dam long:horse:if someones in front of me on the on ramp going slowly, it takes for ever for me to reach 65. i used to think subaru drivers drove slowly because they wanted to. now i know they didnt have a choice.:lol:

I hear that, I usually try to pass people while I'm on the throttle trying to get up to speed, cause if I have to slow down to 45mph and am under 3000rpm, good luck trying to get back up to 65mph on an up-grade.

Now if I'm barrel assing down the freeway at 65-75mph at 4300rpm, nothing can stop me, she'll hold speed even on a up-grade.

"Once she's movin', just stay clear outta her way"

0407121452a.jpg

The gearing in the 4eat pisses me off. I think my 2.2 auto is slow... I don't know how you can deal with a 3at.

If it would just blow up I would have an excuse to use that pile of 5speed parts in my garage...

65 whp is pretty decent for a GL. Although mine has the ea81, so it's even more anemic than an ea82.

Id get so mad driving an 3AT

The only good thing that comes from only having three gears is that on the highway, cruising at 65, when it comes time to accelerate the car is already well in the torque band so you just put the pedal down and it pulls pretty nicely.

Then you pass the car you wanted to pass, you're now doing 75 and the engine is at 4800 RPM and you gotta slow it back down....

haha, the 3AT makes things interesting.

The only good thing that comes from only having three gears is that on the highway, cruising at 65, when it comes time to accelerate the car is already well in the torque band so you just put the pedal down and it pulls pretty nicely.

Then you pass the car you wanted to pass, you're now doing 75 and the engine is at 4800 RPM and you gotta slow it back down....

haha, the 3AT makes things interesting.

On the highway from the moment I put my foot to the floor to the moment the transmission shifts into 3rd is about 1/4 second. Actually, probably less... I can live with that. It feels instant.

Ha , Now that I've been driving my car it's completely likely i make less then 68 horses.

Also another note is that is seems this Loyale just belongs to a local radio host and it was during a "horsepower week" of some town and it was a publicity stunt to throw his car on the dyno. So maybe if it was an well maintained enthusiast's subaru it would've maybe made 70 horses lol.

My 94 probably doesn't have the hp it once had with the TOD all the time but like loyale said once you get it going, get out of the way. Eighty with no problem and still more but I usually try to be conservative so I only have to buy one tankfull every couple of weeks. Where it really shines is in snow up to the grill and driving where noone else would dare. Then I am very happy with whatever hp it still can muster up.

Where it really shines is in snow up to the grill and driving where noone else would dare. Then I am very happy with whatever hp it still can muster up.

Stay strong little Subaru. It may be slow, it may be a 3AT, it may only make 65whp, but it'll get ya where you wanna go.

I think the Loyale is the only one of the cars I've had that has never hit 100 mph....

Oh wait, no. I had a 1993 dodge shadow that also only had a 3 speed. It couldn't hit 100 either. Though the Loyale can't only because of it's gearing. The shadow couldn't because it was a god-awful car. Don't miss that thing at all...

I think the Loyale is the only one of the cars I've had that has never hit 100 mph....

Oh wait, no. I had a 1993 dodge shadow that also only had a 3 speed. It couldn't hit 100 either. Though the Loyale can't only because of it's gearing. The shadow couldn't because it was a god-awful car. Don't miss that thing at all...

i had my brothers 87 gl spfi d/r up to 104 but it had alot of "natural weight reduction" lol

i dont think my 3at could do that with 10 miles downhill.

ewwww. 3speed auto shadow:horse: but those 2.2/2.5 motors are one of my favorites. as easy if not easier to work on than a soob

my baby: 89 shadow es 2.5 turbo 5 speed, was built by the p/o then parked for 15 years. was pushing around 230+hp. kept up with sti's ..but it was too fast. so i sold it... i regret it every day.(i know where it is though.) i cant believe i sold it 2 years ago..feels like a life time.

this is how i found her, in a yard with 150 other cars and trucks.. this guy had a thing for building and hoarding cars. this was 1 of 3 lots....

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/members/37306-ghandiface-albums573-my-projects-picture3474-072600-1501-00-my-89-shadow.jpg( no thats not a box on the roof, its some kinda crazy camper on that old dodge pick up)

srry bout the non soob content. but i had to share..:)

Edited by AKghandi

I have to admit that the thing *was* a trooper. Even with a completely blown headgasket I drove it 10 miles to a junkyard smoking and overheating and sputtering along the whole way.

The turbo ones had to be quick, such a light car. if it had a 5 speed in it, I would have fixed it. Ugly as sin though. Oxidized teal paint...not pretty haha.

Wish I had a dyno around here...the Loyale is very well maintained, I'm sure he has to make more than 65 whp, he is very strong.

The GL not so much, that car needs a tune-up something fierce and I'd be surprised if she has 50 whp

I hate correct you but the dodge 2.2/2.5 are all mopar, except for the turbos some were mitsubishi some were garret

They did however use mitsubishi 2.6 and 3.0 engines in some models. Early 90s shadows used the 3.0 in place of the turbo. And the convertable lebaron was stanard with the 2.6.(which is a god awful motor)Then the 3.0 in 90

Thats why i like 80s cars, not too much, not too little, and some randomness thrown in to keep it interesting.

Srry my brain is full of random trivia.

But back on the subject theres a dyno here in town...i wonder what kinda power my 3at makes. I bet they would do it for free just for shiggles!:lol: maybe my next week day off ill go down there and ask them "hey how much would i have to pay you to put my stock 91 subaru wagon on the dyno?" i wouldnt be surprised if they fall out of their chairs laughing.