Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm considering installing a "weapon r secret weapon" cold air intake on my 99 OBS. From looking at it online, it doesn't appear to have a port for the air intake temp sensor. I am wondering if a CAI is worth the trouble for the resulting output that it gives, and would it cause a problem without the air temp sensor to have a port to go into? Thanks for any input.

I have a complete assy off a 99 2.5. I don't recall anything special about it. Other than it was a bit loud under the hood.

Does an after market cold air intake system provide added power or fuel economy? I would like to learn the advantage of this system.

Just this week I did a boatload of reading about custom intakes on our MAF-equipped subarus... Especially this thread over at the Nabisco forums: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819

:horse:

The conclusions I've drawn from my readings are that:

1)A full cone filter type intake (short ram or cold air)is NOT a benefit. In fact when you bypass the magic resonator jug thing in the fender the resulting resonance of the incoming air charge tricks the MAF sensor and makes the cars run pig rich and perform worse. Louder, but slower.

2)If you leave the MAF, air filter box, and all the fender gubbins in place but replace the piping between the MAF and throttle body with nice free-flowing air intake pipe you get a tiny bit more sound and an actual measurable HP increase. I saw the figure 10% tossed around in that thread somewhere but cannot confirm that myself because I don't have access to a dyno... yet... maybe someday.

Two further thoughts:

The WRX and STi models make 265 and 300hp respectively through the same style paper panel filter and inside-the-fender magic resonator stuff that we have in our lesser cars. Plus the paper filters filter better than aftermarket ones.

As far I know the Cobb upgrade list goes like this: ECU and exhaust first and then if you feel like it you can add their intake but it isn't necessary for performance. That speaks volumes.

why do you want a cold air intake?......the stock air box is very efficient and there is a snorkel that delivers "cold air" already. Dont waste your money on a pointless part, put in a good filter and call it a day. why spend a bunch on something that most likely has over 150k on it.

As far I know the Cobb upgrade list goes like this: ECU and exhaust first and then if you feel like it you can add their intake but it isn't necessary for performance. That speaks volumes.

That's certainly the first part of the standard upgrade path for Subarus with turbos. Cams and headers make the biggest difference on an NA Subaru that I've seen, though, with cams probably making the most power/$.

Keep in mind that an STI can make substantial power with the stock airbox, but then, there used to be pictures on NABISCO of a guy who got his hand sucked into the turbo while tuning. NA Subarus don't quite have that same ability to pull in crazy amounts of air. Williaty's hybrid intake and the old-school Ganzflow are the only two intakes I know of that are backed with any form of measurement.

To the OP: We can't decide if it's worth the trouble for you. That's up to you. If you like flushing money down the toilet, then go ahead and purchase the WeaponR.

Jacob

It does very little or nothing for your stock EJ22 car. It will probably fry your MAF sensor at some point. I did this when I first got my 99 OBS. MAF sensor is a replacement expense you will kick yourself for having to make...and then you will return all the intake back to stock.

• 2 weeks later...

My 99 OBS only has 84,000 on it. Everything I've read says that a CAI increases HP. I thought that everyone likes a little boost, but I guess not. As for an MAF; I didn't realize the OBS has one! It does have an "air intake temp sensor, but if someone knows where the MAF is, then let me know, because it probably needs to be cleaned. I've never seen it. This is the 99 OBS...it isn't a WRX or an STI, and I never said it was.