Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I havent gotten around to resealing the EJ22 in my sisters 1990 Legacy, but I have to start since were passing it on to another family member in about a month...

Its been sitting since mid February after it dumped a grand total of 6qts of 10w/30 from Hillsboro OR to Great Wolf Lodge in Washington and back... grand total of 245 miles. Used just over half a tank though, not bad ;)

Questions:

With just under half a tank left of fuel.. Im gonna put the tires (flats getting fixed) back on and move it out of the garage for a bit... Do I need to/Should I drain the fuel out or is 3 months still decent gas? Its been started a few times to make sure the battery isnt dead...

At what age should I change the fuel out (for future reference) if its been just sitting?

Is it safe to pump it through the fuel line to drain it? Should I then run a system cleaner through it when I fill it?

I'm going to monitor this for others replies but, I'd think garaged for 3 months has a great chance of being just fine.

I'd expect extended cranking so, make sure the battery is charged.

A product like HEET might help if you felt there was some moisture in the system. maybe after it starts, take it to the station, put in a bottle of Techron, fill and drive. Then , perhaps, an oil change, or change the filter and top off with oil - though it seems like it gets fresh oil fairly often!

I wouldn't worry about gas that is 3 months old. It should still burn okay. I would just drive on. I would be more concerned if gas has set in the tank for over a year.

What is going on with your motor using 6 quarts of oil. Is it leaking oil, or burning oil??

I'm no expert but I just fired up my 98 Impreza and drove it after it had sat in my garage since October with about a 1/3rd of a tank of gas in it. The fuel was at least six or seven months old. The can ran well enough but I dumped some fuel stabilizer in it before driving too much and then stuffed a bunch of new fuel in it as well. Now it seems to drive a little better each time I take it out (not a daily driver).

I know, cool story, bro!

Short story long: I bet your 3 month old gas isn't going to hurt anything.

Gas will burn. I started my 3door after it sat dormant over 6 months in a garage. From the fuel that is left over, the original full tank would be 1 year old.

my honda rototiller fired up on last season's gas. I have seen cars run on that gas that was still in it after sitting for years