Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*added video* Clunk in front end when accellerating.. (i DID search, found nothing)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i did 2 things yesterday, i swapped the axle out for one with an axle from Tom. and i tighted down the trans mount bolt just a tad, but the engine crossmember was snug as can be and not moving at all. so i would tend to believe that the axle was the culprit, the clunk is not 100% gone, HOWEVER, it happens very rarely. and i DID notice now that my other side has a split wide open cv boot too. (damn it!)

i used to have the same clunk, it would actually clunk around corners like a cv, but once i jacked the car up, the wheel bearing had a ton of play. you can check by grabbing at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, and shake the wheel back and forth.

also, at low speed it would clunk like a tie rod when i shake the steering wheel side to side.

Just sounds like the solid "clack" I used to get out of my old ranger when I put it in drive. Only did it one in ten times, but had to do with driveshaft position more than anything else I could figure. Never shook or wobbled at speed. Replaced the front u joint and it never do it again.

Inner cv joints can do this when the outer housing is worn. Grooves wear into the housing where the bearing normally rides. After a while the groove gets so deep the bearing starts to hang on it and will bind the axle. When it lets loose you get a big pop.

Got 4wd? Remove the front axles and go for a spin? Alot of work but it will rule out axles if they aren't the cause.

Just sounds like the solid "clack" I used to get out of my old ranger when I put it in drive. Only did it one in ten times, but had to do with driveshaft position more than anything else I could figure. Never shook or wobbled at speed. Replaced the front u joint and it never do it again.

Inner cv joints can do this when the outer housing is worn. Grooves wear into the housing where the bearing normally rides. After a while the groove gets so deep the bearing starts to hang on it and will bind the axle. When it lets loose you get a big pop.

Got 4wd? Remove the front axles and go for a spin? Alot of work but it will rule out axles if they aren't the cause.

iwonder if it was the inner then, the axle did look pretty damn old. possibly original axle, but it was hard to tell as it was all skanky.