Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator troubles (x2) & the resolution...

'99 OBW...

Battery & Brake light on. drove to the "test for free" place. They said I needed an alternator... drove home (18 miles & no problems). Cleaned & tightened all connections & found the postive battery connection to be loose. It's all good now, yeah right.

Was driving out to pick up a used alternator when guages stopped, dash lights came on... trouble in paradise... pulled off the 4 lane highway.

Called a friend to pick up the alternator & removed the source of the trouble.... new one in. Every thing looked, ran & moved well (after I tightened the belt to get rid of the squeal)...

A week later (more or less) the car wouldn't start after sitting for 3-4 minutes... jumped it. Got it home & decided I had killed the battery. Since it was only 3 months old, I got a free exchange.

What the ?

Decided that 15.4 volts at idle & 12.6 revving the engine was wrong... another free exchange (60 day warranty) I put the next alternator in during a freak snow shower.... Hope it's done, although... R&R is now down to 42 minutes.

Thanks for all your time, wisdom, joy & help.

Edited by later, Peter

Hmmm. Well, according to the local Subaru dealer "the recall does not apply to my car".

From what I have read, I think you have to say that your Subie is a 97 model to qualify. Yes, this is deception, but think others have done this successfully. I am sure someone will chime in with more precise details, but it is a method of buying a replacement alternator on the cheap. I think I read that the electrical connector needs to be changed, but that is no big deal.

I buy my alternators at the local pull a part yard. Install it on my Impreza ('97) and put the one I replaced on my shelf of working alternators. If the PnP alternator works for more than two weeks I call it good and leave it in; if not, I return to PnP to get a replacement or credit for another if I don't like what they have in stock. I've acquired a number of "good" alternators sitting on my shelf. I used to have a quality "old school" repair guy, but he retired and went to southern California to play in the sun. I'm still looking for another quality rebuild guy here in the Seattle area.

So let me get this, if I go in there and ask for a replacement

alt for my 95 wagon, they'll give me the 75$ one, or what do

I need to ask for?

I think you have to ask for an alternator for a 97 model, but I am not sure. Someone else needs to clarify this.

yeah, i'm presently looking for the mysterious posts that supposedly have the model numbers or whatever.

That, or park down the street from Sube and ride my bike the rest of the way...

Better yet, deny viciously that "THAT IS NOT A 95!!! NOT...NOT...NOT!!!"

(Sound of stamping feet, flailing arms.)

By then they ought to sell it. Or call the cops.

:drunk:

Wait, here's a list with earlier post by GD that says it's 95 to 98:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128883&highlight=alternator+recall

Grossgary says call it a 95:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127852&highlight=alternator+recall

One more thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124121&highlight=alternator+recall

Edited by 1997reduxe

yeah, that makes sense cause those posts i copied said 95 to 99. if you really needed the deal look for one at the junkyard?

but luck'ly i have the 95. definitely checking next paycheck. worth 75 bucks. though my autozone (2nd one, like the 2nd starter I have from them) is working still. good to have one around tho.

Really? Do I really have to hold your freakin hand on this?

95 to 99 all use the same alternator and are all applicable to the part number used for the recall - which is:

23700AA34ARA

Here's one site (probaby a dealer) that's selling them for $63:

http://www.subarupartswebsite.com/OEMParts/subaru-153/2/23700AA34ARA.html

-- or --

www.1stsubaruparts.com (which is Walker Subaru - a dealer in WA state that is widely respected amongst USMB members) has them listed for $67.50

You DO NOT NEED A VIN or a car which is applicable to the recall. And no you don't have to change any wiring connectors. The alt listed above is for all OBD-II phase-I engines. EJ22E's and EJ25D's included.

There is NO DECEPTION on your part. You are ordering a part number in the Subaru parts system. It has NOTHING to do with a recall - which was done for free to cars that it applied to directly. The part price was dropped to around $75 MSRP for some logistical reason that I don't completely understand. In any case it doesn't really matter - that's the price. BUYING one means you aren't even part of the recall which was a free replacement for affected vehicles. You are just buying a part. There's nothing wrong or immoral about buying a part at the price being asked.....

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder