Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 99 OBS has a saggy rear. I picked up a couple new rear struts for a good price, as they need replaced too. If I spend the money for some saggy butt spacers, I want them to give me a little actual lift and not get me back to factory ride height.

Nowhere aftermarket seems to sell coil springs for the car. Online Subaru parts place had some for $68 apiece, but they were listed for coupe/sedan and no mention of wagon. (If I'm not mistaken, aren't the OBS springs a little different than the non-wagon springs?)

Do you have to replace saggy springs with new ones? Are used ones likely to be saggy too?

I can get some off a 2000 OBS that is parked on blocks, but am wondering if they will be just as saggy. The car is stripped and therefore not heavy like stock and I can't just put wheels on there and see how it sits. I obviously want to remedy my car's situation but I also am tight on cash for awhile.

Seems to me it's rare to see a saggy subaru. Maybe your front struts are frozen or sticking, upward. IDK either if soft springs would measure shorter side-by-side. Seems like they woudl be. I'd say pull the oem springs off the other and give it a try. New aftermarket ("King" progressives, I think) are pricey.

Outback sport springs are different enough to have their own part number. I don't recall if they are any taller but the spring rate may be different. Either way: 20380FA330 that's the part number opposedforces.com lists for OBS rear springs.

Worn rear springs are pretty common on the Impreza and older Legacy models. The springs were kinda weak and wear out, especially if you carry lots of cargo on a regular basis. Most people use the butt spacers to bring the car back up to a normal height when it's loaded. Combine those with new rear springs and you should get a decent amount of lift.

I'll sell you the springs for cheapish, I replaced them with STi springs.

I may take you up on that offer in a couple weeks if these other used springs don't look good, depending on what it would end up costing to ship them. I have wheel bearings to replace that I'm hoping won't cost me much, a CV shaft to replace, and a new paint job all coming at me in June. Thankfully, I picked up a couple new KYB rear struts for super cheap. My OBS looks just like yours, btw.

Outback sport springs are different enough to have their own part number. I don't recall if they are any taller but the spring rate may be different. Either way: 20380FA330 that's the part number opposedforces.com lists for OBS rear springs.

Worn rear springs are pretty common on the Impreza and older Legacy models. The springs were kinda weak and wear out, especially if you carry lots of cargo on a regular basis. Most people use the butt spacers to bring the car back up to a normal height when it's loaded. Combine those with new rear springs and you should get a decent amount of lift.

Somewhere a guy has a thread w/ strut spring comparo photos. If memory isn't failing me, the OBS springs were actually shorter than the sedan Impreza springs...which I would have expected the opposite. I would assume they would be a beefier spring--otherwise I suppose Impreza sedan springs might be worth trying.

My car looks okay sitting unloaded, but put someone in the back or some heavy gear in the hatch and it is sag-rump roast time.

i put loyale rear springs inside the outback coil springs like a dubble valve spring works well and dubbles the load capacity was easy to do and held up for very long time

That's a pretty cool idea, actually, though I don't think any Loyales are around me.

Edited by JT95

bump - anybody know what other vehicles can use 06 WRX wagon springs as an upgrade?

I think they're the same fitment as the 04 STi springs I have. Which would make them a direct swap for 89-91 Legacys, 93-01 Imprezas with rear tophats from 89-91 Legacys, and 92-99 Legacys with WRX rear struts.

The only one I'm certain of is the Impreza.