Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ PS swap in ea82

Tosh

I have a 86 ea82 wagon with a 4 inch lift and a 01 EJ22 out of a outback sport swapped in.

My wagon came with a manual rack so when I got my engine (with ac and PS) I put the pump and compressor on a shelf and never looked at them again. Do to some problems with the manual rack I have now (over 260k on it) I was looking at swapping to power steering. since I already have an EJ I'd like to keep it all EJ if possible.

I'm picking up a PS rack and lines from a 02 WRX next weekend.

And I thought I had the pump down but when I went to make sure I still had all the bolts to bolt it up to the block I noticed some "wobble" in my pulley.

I've moved twice since the pump has been off the engine and its quite possible someone dropped it. Is there an easy way to tell if my pulley is bent or if it is the actual shaft?

Yeah its been living on a shelf for a while, 2 moves, and apparently too much beer for my friends "before" moving. One of my friends said it doesn't look like its "spinning" well IE some resistance. Could that just be from having no fluid in it for so long?

You can check out my thread on installing an EJ rack in an EA82 car.

It's doable, but you'll have to cut a hole in the crossmember, and bend the lines over a hair to clear the mount. Otherwise it's pretty easy.

But, FWIW, EA82 racks are easy to get, bolt right in, and hook up directly to the EJ lines.

As for the pump, hook it up and go....It'll get the work of installing the rackdone, and if the pump leaks or wobbles.....replace it later.....not like it's hard to get to.

You can check out my thread on installing an EJ rack in an EA82 car.

It's doable, but you'll have to cut a hole in the crossmember, and bend the lines over a hair to clear the mount. Otherwise it's pretty easy.

But, FWIW, EA82 racks are easy to get, bolt right in, and hook up directly to the EJ lines.

As for the pump, hook it up and go....It'll get the work of installing the rackdone, and if the pump leaks or wobbles.....replace it later.....not like it's hard to get to.

Your thread was the one I was looking at to "see if it could be done" :drunk:.

I'm all for upgrading to newer gen stuff and I'm getting a pretty good deal on PS rack + lines from an 02 wrx. My only other thought is how hard is it to swap over the whole steering column do does it even come close?

Use the ea82 rack, the ej lines and be done. Last one I did was a simple bend of a line and a little longer rubber hose and it was done. The old 90-99 pumps might be easier and they have a reseal/rebuild kit available.