Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 Legacy inner tie rod end replacement

I replaced the inner tie rod ends on both sides of the car this weekend. I used "genuine Subaru" parts purchased from a Subaru dealer. It was a pretty easy job. I compared measurements of the new and the old tie rods and they looked identical so I just counted the turns as I removed the outer tie rod ends. I hoped that this would save me the cost/trouble of an alignment. But now I sometimes get a vibration during sharp, low speed left turns. So I assume the alignment is wrong and I made an apponitment to get that done next week.

I guess you could call it "jerkiness". It is kind of a rumble. But, no, it did nothing like this prior to doing the work so it is too much of a coincidence for me to think it is not related to the tie rod replacement. I alo did replace the right side ball joint this weekend.

Why? What are you thinking?

I am not that upset about paying for the alignment ($80.00) since the right front tire is waring unevenly anyway (looks like the cambler is off).

I guess you could call it "jerkiness". It is kind of a rumble. But, no, it did nothing like this prior to doing the work so it is too much of a coincidence for me to think it is not related to the tie rod replacement. I alo did replace the right side ball joint this weekend.

Why? What are you thinking?

I am not that upset about paying for the alignment ($80.00) since the right front tire is waring unevenly anyway (looks like the cambler is off).

nothing wrong with doing an alignment, hope it helps.

maybe double check lugnuts and other stuff. Could also be you got a little air in the PS system and it needs a little time to work its way out, dunno - just seems weird.

When the car comes back from alignment, get back here if the problem persists. I might not be much help, but someone probably will!