Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what ya think for another subie

Personally, I'd be all over it for 1k if it wasn't a wagon, but I just don't like wagons. Looks like it's pretty clean and low mileage too. Does suck that it's an auto, but that can always be swapped out.

What would your plans for it be?

Personally, I'd be all over it for 1k if it wasn't a wagon, but I just don't like wagons. Looks like it's pretty clean and low mileage too. Does suck that it's an auto, but that can always be swapped out.

What would your plans for it be?

I really like wagons so thats why i like it :P how hard is it to swap out? it would be the exploration toy and a DD till i do all my gasket work on my current one.

Automatic. I wouldn't - but that's me. For $1k I could have a nice Legacy or at least a 5 speed D/R.

An EA82 auto with 115k on it is still less desireable than any legacy with over 200k on it IMO. Especially for that price.

GD

what is the difference between this and a legacy

what is the difference between this and a legacy

Don't get him started.. :banana: haha

For one thing, the engine. The EJ series engines are heralded as the pinnacle of Subaru engineering basically, and the EA series engine in that GL (specifically the EA82) is heralded as a mess...

Under-engineered, not very reliable, noisy, etc.

GD bases his tendency toward the Legacy solely on cost effective-ness, I believe, and, ultimately, the better bang for buck. He'll correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure, but pretty sure the legacy's are recommended for these reasons.

That being said, if you *have* the money to spare, and you *want* an EA series vehicle and it turns out to be in great shape, don't let anybody talk you out of it.

We're here to give our opinions, but that's solely what they are; opinions. The final decision is up to you.

In *my* opinion, the 3 speed auto trans in that vehicle is a down-side, but not a deal killer. It will still drive, and drive well, but if you do a lot of highway driving, it's also going to drive you nuts :dead:.

The price is just about spot on for the condition / mileage of that vehicle, based on the pictures. If there's minimal to no rust, I'd call it a home run.

If you are technically inclined, and have experience wrenching on cars, I'm pretty sure through the guidance on this bulletin board, you would be able to pull off a 5 speed swap. That is entirely dependent upon you and your confidence in doing so however.

Good luck with your decision! It's a nice wagon. :drunk: