Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to replace Knock Sensor, were is it ?

Hi ALL!

I have a 2001 Legacy GT Wgn.

I've been getting the Knock Sensor code (I ereased it twice, keeps coming back ), so I need to replace it. IS it easy to get to from up top ? Just exactly were is it ? I read somewere, it needed to been torqued down to a specific foot lb, does it really ?

Many thanks, SubeeTed

Edited by SubeeTed

SEARCH

Someoone did a how-to relatively recently.

Basically it's under the #4 intake on top of the block.

Keeping the angle of the wire and the torque spec are important.

It's easy to see actually when you know where it is. Kinda hard to get at to get the bolt started again on the new one.

I use a wobble expension and a magnet is handy.

i just did one on a 00 legacy. it is directly under the throttle cables where they connect to the throttle body (00 - 04). this one was easier than than 97 - 99. the air box is different and there is more room to get your hand in. the intake may be taller too, not sure.

the zip tie holding the wire to the hose is re-useable if you can get you fingers on the tab to release it. or just cut it.

mine did try to cross thread, so be careful.

Edited by johnceggleston

You don't say what year your car is, but I don't think it makes much difference. The knock sensor is prolly in the same location on all Subie motors.

I just replaced mine on my 99 OBW. It is difficult to locate. Check the archives on this forum under "search," that is where I found a good write up, and pictures, when I did mine. No need to use a torque wrench. Just snug up the new one upon installation. You don't want to crank it down hard, or you will break the plastic housing of the unit.

Yep, that is a good write up. I viewed another thread with about the same pictures. Don't be surprised if your knock sensor bolt up unit is covered over with wiring or a loom, making it even harder to find. Just move stuff out of the way to find the unit.