Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swap dual range 4wd to 2wd.

Searching for some threads or write ups. Are there any write ups for those that have swapped the 4wd dual range transfer and standard transmission to a 2wd same generation subie?

My 86 is eatin up with rust, no saving it at this point as it has spread everywhere. It is great running and driving dual range 4x4.

I have an 87 with MPFI automatic 2wd. It is wrecked but not hardly any rust. Was kept in a garage. Toying with the idea of swapping the dual range and standard trans to it. Also any suspension and running gear needed plus maybe grill and fenders etc to repair the accident damage.

If you could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Also, level of difficulty of this swap. I know it has been done a lot, just can not find the write ups.

Thanks

The wrecked 87 only has 70,000 miles on it so keeping the motor and MPFI. First I need to inspect all damage from the accident. Bought it that way. I just need to make sure no damage to the frame in the front.

Thanks for the input. Lets me know what I need to be thinking about.

the tunnel is to small has to be hammerd out a bitt

Huh?????

I know the early tunnels are slightly smaller.....but those cars did come with D/R 5spds. It will fit in there just fine.

It's the 4EAT that can't be fitted into the 85,86 cars without bashing.