Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought an '02 impreza TS with a blown motor (It ran out of oil and melted most of the inside and put a hole in the block). I had the engine swapped with a rebuilt one and when it was done the AT light and Engine light were both on. The mechanic scanned the code and it said it a gear was in lock up. None of the gears are locked up and it shifts fine. I just drove it home last night and the light stayed (flashing) on the whole (20 miles) way home. I haven't tried anything yet and in reading the posts it seems like the most likely starting place would be to check the connections. I'll also see if I can try to read the code with the secret handshake method mentioned but I think it is blinking twice per second indicating that there are no codes. Is it possible that when the engine went out it caused the tranny to overheat and the code will reset itself with more miles put on? Is there a way to make the light stop blinking if it is not reading a code? Thanks for any help

I just got home and tried the secret handshake and it shows 7 long blinks followed by 7 short blinks. Does anyone know what a 77 code means? Thanks

Edited by snowbie
update

According to Google code 77 is:

77 Lock-Up Duty Solenoid Circuit

That probably means that its not going into Torque Converter Lockup. That will drop your RPM at cruise 3-400 RPM. May be the AT wire harness is damaged/not fully connected or they may have damaged the AT oil pan with a transmission jack when changing the engine (that could have damaged the Duty Solenoid).

From another Subaru board:

77 Lock-up duty solenoid. Detects open or shorted output signal circuit.

I'd take it back and expect them to fix it.

Edited by Mike104

posibly damaged the tourque converter on reinstall the lockup is in tourque and is very easaly damaged if not all the way in on install has orings on shat that seal lockup mabee oring got damaged or was forced together when tourque was not all way in did it work good before ? have seen two that were ruined thiss way it cracked the pump housing and damaged the tourque splines had to change the center support in trans and tourque converter. Is the speedo working properly ? and check trans and engine main grounds on engine are not loose

I had a similar issue with my impreza so I would be interested in seeing what it was. For me, It stopped after i fixed my initial problem which was my speedo cable shield came loose at the transmission. I pulled it back in, my speedo worked again and my flashing AT light went away.

-Justin

Thanks for the suggestions. I drove the car after the secret handshake method told me it was a 77 and the light went out. The check engine light is on still but I haven't had a chance to drive the car much since. I'll put some miles on it this weekend and I hope the CEL light goes out too. If not I'll take into consideration the idea of taking it back to the shop it came from and asking them to follow up with these suggestions. I'll update if I find out more.

What is the rpm supposed to be at 70 mph? 2002 2.5 TS

Edited by snowbie