Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How can I retrieve trouble codes on my girlfriend's 2004 2.5 TS?

Her car is making a deep grumbling sound going up hills regardless of the temperature of the engine. It's a fairly quiet sound but it is accompanied by a lack of power compared to before. Occasionally the MIL lamp will come on but it goes off after a while so if someone can tell me how to check OBD 2 codes on this car without a code reader I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I can hear the valves operating when I am standing beside the car, is that just a Subaru thing or are her valves in need of some work too? I don't have a Subie yet so I am unfamiliar with these things. It seems odd that her fancy car makes more noise than my $200 (Ford) beater, lol.

:D

Regarding the valves, the 2.5 does require valve adjustments periodically I believe, not sure if that applies to a 2004 model. What is the mileage on the car?

You could also be hearing the injectors, which seem to be noisier on subarus than on other cars, maybe just due to the placement of them.

Ah well she's got just under 98'000kms on it but she's pretty tough on the engine; lots of short trips and hard driving on a cold engine.

I'll ask her if the ticking noise is something new or if it's always been that way.

I'll also see if the local parts store'll hook up their code reader to it for her. Saves me wasting 200 bones when I don't even have OBD2 on my sled.

Classic symptoms of a misfire. Often caused by old spark plugs and wires. Go get new NGK spark plugs (look in the owners manual and get the number they list or go to a dealer) and either NGK or Subaru OEM (from a dealer) spark plug wires. Any other brand will likely be a waste of your time and cause just as much or more trouble. The 2.5 is VERY picky about spark plug wires. When was the last time it got fuel and air filters? PCV valve? If it's been more than a year change those as well.

Lots of parts stores (here in the U.S. anyway) will read OBD2 codes for free. Just aks at the counter. There are some cheap readers out there that can read and erase codes, but most of them just give you the code and you have to go look it up yourself. I use Canobd2.com since they have a HUGE list of manufacturer specific codes. I also own one of their scanners which has all the code definitions in it. They cost a little more than the HF $30 jobs though.

There are also apps for iPhone/ Android that can read codes through the use of a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the OBD port. Costs about $40 for the transmitter and you can use the basic functions of the App for free. Have to wait for shipping to get it though.

Wicked! Thanks guys, I will definitely have a look at those things although I suspect if it's any of the listed things it'd be the spark plugs or plug wires. The idle speed is correct and consistent so I'm thinking the PCV valve is good. Will have to check it though just to say I did. Fuel filter probably needs changing too. Seems like most people neglect to change them 'til they conk out on the road somewhere because of a clog.

Do they make Haynes or Chiltons manuals for Subies? I've gotta admit the layout under the hood isn't as obvious to me as a more common drivetrain etc.

This is the first car I have dealt with in any way with AWD and a boxer engine.

IIRC there are Chiltons and Haynes for that year but im pretty sure you can get the FSM for it from Busted Finger forums. http://bustedfingermotorsports.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18

You'll get the hand of these pretty quick with how simple these are laid out. Plugs were a bit of a pain on the older engines but by 04 shouldn't be any harder than swapping plugs on a Ford or a Dodge (gotta be easier than my 85 Ranger).

IIRC there are Chiltons and Haynes for that year but im pretty sure you can get the FSM for it from Busted Finger forums. http://bustedfingermotorsports.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18

You'll get the hand of these pretty quick with how simple these are laid out. Plugs were a bit of a pain on the older engines but by 04 shouldn't be any harder than swapping plugs on a Ford or a Dodge (gotta be easier than my 85 Ranger).

Thank you, I will check out busted finger. Really Ford Ranger plugs are a hassle? Too bad, I have wanted a mid to late 80s ranger for ages. My Nissan Hardbody was such a pig on gas though it pretty much cured me of all my pickup truck desires. Still good to know.

So how are the early 90s Subaru Loyales? That's what I'm looking to buy. I saw one at the junkyard the other day and it kind of did my head in for a bit. so weird seeing that kind of engine, lol. I knew a guy that had one years ago though and he used the stock setup for mud bogging, drifting and jumping offroad. He said he couldn't kill the thing and this is a guy who took us over a (at least) 30% grade covered in basketball sized rocks in an old New Yorker type car so quite the endorsement.

The old ranger 4 bangers are easy, but they're gutless. I suppose the 6s are just as bad off for power. The biggest problem is the airbox for the HVAC is in the way and its really tight getting a socket on #3. Then your basically blind putting the plug back in because there's no way to even see the hole. It takes finesse for sure.

The old loyales are awesome offroaders. Take a look in the old gen forum there's a huge picture thread. Lots of info about the ins and outs of those too.

Loyales are pretty much stripped down versions of the late 80's GLs and DLs. The engine in those is slightly problematic. If you buy a Loyale over a GL or DL you will not have the option for a dual range 4WD system. Personally I would go for an EA81 vehicle if you are looking for something of that design vintage. Older body style than the EA82 based Loyales and DL/GL models but more durable engine and same off road capabilities.

Ask around in the old gen section of the forum, you will get more info on these cars. Generally they are better for 4WD uses than the new gen cars such as legacy and impreza, but the new gen cars make better daily drivers for most people.