Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ScanGauge in a late '95 ODBII Impreza, worth it?

Just as the topic says.

I have a late '95 Impreza WITH a ODBII plug. (I know its ODBII, it tells me secrets). My question is, would it tell me the things I want to know?

Biggest thing that is making me doubt is the fact that it is a early ODBII computer. Would it even tell me what i want. RPM, Fuel consumption, coolant temperature, engine speed, horsepower?

Anyone? Bueller?

-Justin

You'll get the bare basics. RPM, ECT, TPS, MAP, MAF, O2 V, Calculated load, Fuel Trims, spark timing... that's about all the early OBD2 systems supported. There are other values that can be checked such as knock sensor input and certain emissions valves duty cycle if you have a program that can read straight from the ECU, but I don't think Scan gauge will do that. I could be wrong. How much is this thing?

You can pick up an Equus Innova OBD2 scanner that reads live data, all the sensors mentioned above, and has built in OBD2 code definitions, and is updateable, and supports more manufacturer specific codes than pretty much any other readers on the market for around $140 from Amazon.

If you have a smart phone, iPhone and Android platforms have OBD2 diagnostic Apps that can be downloaded and you buy a small Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the OBD2 port. Then you can read/erase codes, view available live data and sensor outputs, freeze frames, and you can email snapshot or recorded live data to yourself, or anyone else for that matter, so it can be reviewed on a computer. Generally about $30 - 40 for the dohickie to plug into the car and you get the basic App for free.

I bought the one for iPhone called BlueDriver, and the basic app is quite useful.You can read and erase DTCs, email them, and view some basic data. The whole program can be opened up for $50 IIRC, but you can also open up just one or two things at a time for only a few dollars.

I think it would work for what they advertise. It says it just has to be fully OBDII compliant, and the 95 subarus are. I dont think it uses manufacturer speciic info or advanced readings that were added later to get its readings since it says it works with 1996 vehicles.

If you have a smart phone, iPhone and Android platforms have OBD2 diagnostic Apps that can be downloaded and you buy a small Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the OBD2 port. Then you can read/erase codes, view available live data and sensor outputs, freeze frames, and you can email snapshot or recorded live data to yourself, or anyone else for that matter, so it can be reviewed on a computer. Generally about $30 - 40 for the dohickie to plug into the car and you get the basic App for free.

I bought the one for iPhone called BlueDriver, and the basic app is quite useful.You can read and erase DTCs, email them, and view some basic data. The whole program can be opened up for $50 IIRC, but you can also open up just one or two things at a time for only a few dollars.

Where can i find of what thou speak?

That IS tempting, though I would like something that is always on in the car.

the only problem is (from what i've read) is there is limated BluetoothODBII hardware that works with iPhones.. which is what i have.

Nipper: http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-ELM-327-Diagnostics-Cable/dp/B004VXSH48/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339205928&sr=1-4&keywords=bluetooth+odb2

video:

-Justin