Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Subaru folk,

I just replaced the air filter on my '98 Legacy Outback and, astonished at the noticable increase in engine performance, I was wondering if replacing the fuel filter might be in order as well....

Are fuel filters all the same or does manufacturer matter...?

For those considering air filters Subaru sells a custom air filter for their vehicles but I think the one 'Wix' offers may be a better fit...

I think the real cheap $4 air filters are probably a waste of money...

--Damien

wix is the only way to go i think they may be a little more but they are worth it. i have nothing but wix all the way around on my subie

I have always thought highly of Wix products, but difficult to find at a retail store. Any national chain stores carry them??

I recently got a wix air filter at oreilley auto parts in Fargo ND. Dont know if that was just something they carry regionally or actually I dont even know if oreilley is national but know they have them in Colorado and North Dakota at least.

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but thanks.....there is an O'Reilley' part store here in Indianapolis, IN, not far from where I live. NAPA is near by too. Good to know their NAPA brand is really Wix products.

As mikelada said though I think it is just napa Gold not the lower end napa branded stuff. Oreiley does have a wix branded fuel filter on their website and it shows it in stock in my local store and online so chances are good they will have it in yours too.

ya napa gold is wix and napa silver is fram. i don't mind fram but wix is better.:Flame:

good to know that o-rielys has wix i didn't know that

oh ya as for air filters k&n is a good one to go with the inital cost may be alot but they filter better and are cheaper in the long run. you can get K&N at napa to.

to anyone that doesn't know this k&n are cleanable filters all you have to buy after you buy one is the oil i have a friend with one in a 6.7 cummins and he says it costs about twelve dollars every time he cleans his filter. that is less than half of what a stock wix costs for that engine

Edited by mikaleda