Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Forester XT torque split on the automatic?

Hello ALL WHEEL DRIVE FELLOWS!

Isn't it great to drive where ever you want? Hahaha!

I'm looking to buy a used 2004 Forester XT automatic...

I've seen so many ratios and and so much seemingly conflicting info without clear reference to this 2004 forester XT model...

What is the Torque Split Ratio and how is it transferred to all 4 wheels at all times?

I saw a video of a 2004 forester XT (maybe not an XT) Automatic stuck in the snow with only two wheels spinning: the front and the diagonal side rear... how is this possible if this is an AWD?

I really didn't want this feature that will get me stuck with only two wheels spinning when I want to get through sand and mud to the ocean and paddle out in the surf, ryt?. These are everyday conditions here in Hawaii (Aloha! by the way). I thought all the wheels always have torque power?

Am I not understanding something about this model?

Where do I find this ratio and the distribution to the front and back and each side ratios?

I'm sure you experts know this right off hand for this 2004 model, right?

I wish you were here in Hawaii!

: )

Edited by 2002ForesterGuy

First of all - AWD does not mean that all the wheels have power. It means they *can* have power under the right circumstances. This is true of EVERY SINGLE AWD car on the market - past, present, and future. It is nothing specific to Subaru.

When people talk of every-day common "2WD" cars they often don't realize that 99.9% of these are really 1WD. With a plain open differential, as seen in 99.9% of passenger cars, the power will always go to the wheel with the least traction.

With most conventional "AWD" systems they are STILL 1WD. With an open front, center, and rear differential the power will still go to the wheel with the least traction.

Subaru's automatics use a fluid clutch pack in place of a center diff. This allows the computer to send power to either the front or the rear based on demand - as derived from speed sensor input. But at either end of the vehicle (except in some specially equipped models) you still have an open diff and thus only the wheels at either end of the car with the LEAST traction will be engaged. So all Subaru automatic's are really 2WD.

To get to 3WD you need something other than an open differential in the rear. Some of the Forester XT's did come with Viscous Limited Slip Differentials or VLSD's. These have a viscous clutch pack that heats up and causes the diff to cease being completely open. This will transfer power to both rear wheels once enough slip has occured to generate the requisite heating of the viscous fluid.

To get to full AWD you then need a front Limited Slip Differential. The only Subaru model that is factory equipped with such an animal is the STi and it only comes as a 6 speed manual.

This is pretty much how it breaks down for all makes and models. Subaru is better than almost all other manufacturers in their price range with regards to traction ability. Especially with the automatics.

"Torque split" is a meaningless number. It varies based on what the computer wants to do. The 4EAT automatic assumes a 90/10 torque split right out of the gate. When it gets input that it needs to toss more power to the rear it does. Up to 50/50 torque split. It's all handled by the computer and it's so fast that you don't really notice it. It's mostly FWD till it needs the additional power at the back.

GD