Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My wife's cousin just bought a '05 WRX EJ20 turbo with 150k on the clock. Since it had so many miles on it already, first thing i told him to do is to get the timing done on it.

I was trying to get the dealer to do the timing before selling the car but he wouldnt budge. But did say that we could bring the car back and they would do it. I told him (my wife's cousin) that I could do the timing, no problem, and would likley be a LOT cheaper than what the stealership would charge.

To keep my price competitive.. i called the dealer to see how much they would charge if we just brought it in.

The guy said 695+tax (325-parts, 370 in labor). JUST 700 BUCKS?! I was sure to ask what all was being replaced, he said: belt, tensioners, pulleys and Water pump. 700 BUCKS?!

Can this be right?? I cant do better than 415 in parts with just the timing kit and a water pump-not including fluids!

Am i crazy? or is the dealer doing something wonky and probably would charge more after they already have the car?

edit: by the way, its not a "subaru" dealership. Its "Automotive Avenues", sells cars and have their own service dept..

-Justin

Since it's not a dealership they will probably be using a PCI or similar timing belt kit on it. If they buy any volume of parts they are probably getting that for a couple 100$, then the rest is labor I would imagine.

Edited by porcupine73
couple $ = couple 100$

I use all japanese components - NTN, Mitsuboshi, Tama, etc and my parts price on a 2.0 timing belt job is about $260 my cost. Don't forget the crank seal, oil pump o-ring, and thermostat.... I include those. My labor on that is $240 to $300. I could beat that dealer by at least $200 and do a more thorough job.

GD

I use all japanese components - NTN, Mitsuboshi, Tama, etc and my parts price on a 2.0 timing belt job is about $260 my cost. Don't forget the crank seal, oil pump o-ring, and thermostat.... I include those. My labor on that is $240 to $300. I could beat that dealer by at least $200 and do a more thorough job.

GD

wish I lived in Portland...