Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So ny leggy has been sittin for a while before I bought it and day by day I try bringing it back to life the latest project was evacuating the old r12 and retrofitting the new r134a system. The old system is drained and vacuumed and the new system is about to be put in.... problem now is the compressor won't kick in I checked all the fuses and relays all good the only time the compressor will work is with constant 12v source straight from the battery I was told either a temperature sensor or the clutch switch... Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated I'm still looking for a complete set of suspension for the leggy (4 shocks~struts) front & back thank you...

So ny leggy has been sittin for a while before I bought it and day by day I try bringing it back to life the latest project was evacuating the old r12 and retrofitting the new r134a system. The old system is drained and vacuumed and the new system is about to be put in.... problem now is the compressor won't kick in I checked all the fuses and relays all good the only time the compressor will work is with constant 12v source straight from the battery I was told either a temperature sensor or the clutch switch... Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated I'm still looking for a complete set of suspension for the leggy (4 shocks~struts) front & back thank you...

um, it is presently empty of refrigerant? Yeah, a low pressure switch will not allow it to engage as the system may not have enough pag oil w'ever to lube the compressor.

If you have already charged it with 134a, how much did you put in? As mentioned, there MAY also be an over pressure cut-out, not sure though.

When converting from R12 to R134A, it is better to use Ester Oil, not PAG Oil in the system. Ester will be more compatible with any remaining oil from when you had R12.

I converted a '91 Leggie to R134A, and had no problems. I was surprised how well 134 cooled off the car. The conversion worked well.

When I converted, I connected R134 can to the low port, started the car engine, turned on the A/C to max cool, slide lever to max cool, and fan on high. My compressor kicked on pretty quickly upon the R134 entering the system. I am surprised that your compressor won't turn on.

I had bought a conversion kit came with 3 12oz cans of the 134a and oil 2in1 the high and low pressure adapters the limit said 22~26oz while in bypass the compressor running I put 2 and a half cans as recommended it blew cold and everything but once the constant 12v wire was removed from the compressor it just won't kick on unless bypassed again...

I had bought a conversion kit came with 3 12oz cans of the 134a and oil 2in1 the high and low pressure adapters the limit said 22~26oz while in bypass the compressor running I put 2 and a half cans as recommended it blew cold and everything but once the constant 12v wire was removed from the compressor it just won't kick on unless bypassed again...

Good that you got the compressor to kick on and pull the 134 into the system. I don't think that 2 and a half cans of 134 is too much refrigerant, but maybe just a little bit too much. The gauge on those 134 (do it yourself) are not very accurate, but usually close enough. On the last can, was the gauge reading in the red zone at time of adding the 134? If so, it is possible that you have just a bit too much 134 in the system, so the sensor won't let the compressor turn on as it is suppose to.

My advise, connect up the gauge again, and see if the reading is in the red danger zone. If so, remove some of the refrigerant from the system. Get the gauge to read at the high end of the green zone.

Hope this helps.....if not, then you will prolly need to replace a sensor or two.