Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I want to sell my perfectly good 98 LGT and buy an SVX.

The rear seats fold down, which is basically my criteria for a sedan.

I know they have tranny issues, but whatever. I can swap a tranny.

Why shouldn't I buy an SVX? What is there to know, that I don't know, that will talk me out of a horrible life decision.

I like rare cars with hard to find parts that are hard to work on. There's something wrong with me.

Help me out here, guys.

I like rare cars
SVX should fit you well.

with hard to find parts
the SVX was made for you!

that are hard to work on.
they're not that hard to work on and quite reliable really...minus said wheel bearing and trans issues they are capable of high miles.

i bet the SVX forums have a sticky or thread for potential new owners...might want to check there? i've heard the SVX crowd can be a tough one! Kevin and Huck are friends of mine and members there and here.

windshields are $700 (that was 5 years ago) and parts are hard to find. i was trying to help a friend get an engine sensor...actually the thread (with zero replies) is here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57900

i also tried for months on SVX forums and SVX experts like Huck...struck out and couldn't get one for him. he has since passed away, don't know what happened to the car but i was never able to get the sensor for anything under hundreds of dollars new.

get a trans cooler and you're golden on the trans.

Hmm, thanks for the input. The one I'm looking at hs a good trans. But needs a windshield. I figured they were expensive, but damn. I should call a glass place and ask. And then get glass insurance...

Ideally I'd put a 4.44 auto in there.

I really dislike dealing with EJ wheel bearings... And that has 5x114.3 hubs. So legacy or whatever stuff wouldn't swap. I should check the svx board.

Thanks for the input.

I replaced the windshield in one of mine for $300. They dont come with the seal, so make sure whoever replaces it removes the old one carefully and reuses it.

Depending on your location and the part you need, its not that hard to find the parts (if you have to, buy one thats cheap and part it out.....but dont mention that on the SVX forum).

I replaced the engine and trans in my last one by myself, and I'm old :-p

Wouldnt want to do it again tho :rolleyes:

I have yet to replace a wheel bearing in one, I guess I'm lucky there. But I dont see that as something to keep me from buying one.

They do have a tendency for gremlins that are hard to diagnose.

They also have a tendency of being money pits. Being up to 20yrs old now, they need lots of maintenance. Usually depending on how the previous owner treated them. My last one had 101k on it, but looking at it you would have thought 201k :(

Having just sold one, I will be looking for another one again in a few years.

Or if I see a deal I cant pass up, sooner.

Hmm, they're just an awesmoe car.

Called up a local glass place that did my legacy. They said

:eek::eek::eek::eek: $1200 + :eek::eek::eek::eek:

For an svx windshield replacement.

Now I know why he's selling a pretty nice one so cheap.

I had a '92 SVX and I loved it! (Coincidentally, my grandson spotted my old one in Provo, UT last week: I had sold it to a guy in CO Springs about 3 yrs. ago).

That said:

The engines are awesome. Strong, reliable, some Legacy turbo parts interchange, most other parts are SVX only. Changing the spark plugs is a bch.

Wheel bearings are known to fail. Mine didn't while I had it, but I think I just got lucky.

Windshield: dealer item only, no matter what glass place you go through. Get glass insurance!

Transmission: best thing, hands down, you can do is put a Transtar shift kit in the valve body. It takes the delay off the shifting and gives a quick, firm but smooth shift. This takes the strain off the internals.

Obtain a few "spare parts cars". I did and it saved my bacon a couple of times. They are awesome to drive, ride like a dream, are fast as hell, the only true "concept car" ever offered as a production model to the American public. Those windows rock: no highway air buffeting and fantastic visibility.

Oh, go ahead and get one. Don't plan on it being your daily driver for the next ten years, but enjoy it while/when you can. You only live once, right? :rolleyes:

It would be my DD the day I bought it. I do have a lifted GL, but it makes a really lousy DD. I took it as my DD on a 1200 mile trip, spent 4 months working there, and drove home. NEVER AGAIN! Hah.

I've never heard of the tranny shifter kit. Interesting, I'd want to do that for sure.

I'd really want to swap a 4.44 into it, because the one in my LGT is pretty awesome. Even with 250k it's pretty nice.

My LGT is up for sale again, so if that sells, which I'd be sad about... I'll peruse while DDing my GL. But that's just an idea... I'm skitzo when it comes to what I want with cars.

It seems like these are better cars than I thought. Hah. One thing I do need to look up, and this should be on the svx board, is what years had what tranny. Like the 3.54 vs. 3.90, etc.

What SVX forum should I look at? http://svxworldforums.com/ or http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/.