Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seems as though my second wrecking yard alternator is *intermittently* dropping out... so, do I buy another one ($30 - $45) or blow the $165 at NAPA (original case but all new guts & lifetime warranty) or the O'Really (rebuilt in China) $132 w/lifetime warranty...

My '99 OBW has 178k

OR any other alternate sources?

Thank you...

I source Brand new ones for $171. I can usually get a Reman from Subaru for less though, there was a "recall" part number for that era Outback, I am not sure if the 99 is part of that part description but if so they are typically under $100.

I also have Denso reman ones for $149. They do have a $35 core charge which is the nice thing about the new one, no core or shipping your old one to me.

$70 or so from most dealers. You want the recall alt for the 95 to 99's. Yes it will work on a '99 Outback.

GD

yep - what they're saying. i always get them from the dealer, i think it was $68 last one i bought a few years ago for a96 or 98 legacy/outback of some sort.

Check this out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-Genuine-OEM-OE-Factory-Original-23700AA34ARA-Alternator-Generator-/330733019249?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d01396071&vxp=mtr

This is a dealer somewhat close to me (I've heard the adds on radio in tthe outer reaches of local to me).

135 NEW OEM including core charge of 50? You'd have to pay return shipping on core I suppose.

SOunds like a deal. I'll have to remember this if I ever need another one(I still have several used including Subaru reman).

I was told by the service manager of the near by dealership, that my Subaru & the recall didn't mesh.... Today, I called the parts department, remanufactured 3 year warranty alternator is $99... seems like the right deal to me ("lifetime warranty & 178K may just mean 3 years or so)...

Now, if I can only convince myself that the problem is truly the alternator & not something other flukey thing....

lose power (notice the radio dying first)... then the guages go & dash lights (at trans temp/abs) blink & light up, car jerks, stalls & requires a jump to get going again (runs fine after re starting). I checked the out put at the battery last time it stalled 11.75 volts. Brand new battery. Replaced (junk yard) alternator... after it's going again: alternator & battery 14.6(ish) but good.

oh what to do what to do.... would love to think that replacing the alternator (again) would resolve the issue.

Thank you ALL!

Yep - They don't need a year or VIN. Just tell them you want the mid-90's reman alt that's going for about $80 list price. I get them for around $73 IIRC. They stock 2 at all times at my dealer. You can call Lithia Subaru of Oregon City and they will ship it to you. Tell them Rick from Superior Soobie & Import (SSI) sent you.....

GD

Yeah if you do go through Mike Scarff, don't know if you're close enough to them or they'd have to ship to you, always ask for Jason there. That place used to be called Auburn Sube or something similar, and it was the dealer that fed 1stsubaruparts website, not anymore, but Jason still sells net stuff for them, and he's real helpful and gets me the best deals. Of course, I always throw in how I've been buying from him for like 10 years from old 1stsubaru days etc.

http://www.mikescarffsubaru.com/index.htm

Picked up an alternator this morning (near by Subaru dealer who insisted it's $99 or $94 or, in the end $83)... Installed it (getting quick at this task) & drove about 25 miles... all is well (so far).

I also realized that my speedometer was constantly working... It was intermittent before... drove well but no idea of speed.

Now I wonder if "no speedo" was a symptom that is now fixed or a symptom of another (& more to the point) problem that created the main problem.

I'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

later,

Peter

(thanks to all of you that offered suggestions)

Picked up an alternator this morning (near by Subaru dealer who insisted it's $99 or $94 or, in the end $83)... Installed it (getting quick at this task) & drove about 25 miles... all is well (so far).

I also realized that my speedometer was constantly working... It was intermittent before... drove well but no idea of speed.

Now I wonder if "no speedo" was a symptom that is now fixed or a symptom of another (& more to the point) problem that created the main problem.

I'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

later,

Peter

(thanks to all of you that offered suggestions)

The speedo can go wacky if the alt goes bad, I had that happen in my loyale. usually do to over voltage, not under voltage. But either way, yes, the speedo can be affect by the alt.

Glad it's working again for you! Good luck!