Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Too much brake confusion. Can't get no...

So I'm looking around trying to find/order brakes for my Legacy.

(95, Wagon, 2.2, AWD, 4 disk brakes, built 2/95, 15 inch wheels.)

The thing is some info I look at seems to say most all legacies

90-99 have the same size calipers rotors etc,

other places seem to differentiate between 14 or 15 inch wheels.

I see 57mm for front calipers, and 35mm for rear?

Can anybody please tell me what size I need to find for rear/front?

I am going crazy, every time I look at another place it seems they

throw another variable in.

Help!

:banghead:

The rears are standard over most years.

As long as you get the caliper and brackets. Lots of the WRX guys get rid of theiir stock brakes and sell them cheap!

Best just to pull your wheels and then check the size if you want to stay with what you have.

subaru brakes are confusing, the brake designers forgot their OCD med's in the 90's.

jamal has a great and very thorough brake write up. i believe it's posted here in the USRM - read that and use it.

also peruse how unbelievably long it is and how convoluted it is that some brakes swap, some don't, some are the same but different pin set ups, some are the same caliper but different rotor sizes...i mean it's a crazy mess.

the best thing to do is take the pads and rotors with you to verify. but that is inconvenient at best.

For what it is worth, I have put brakes on a 91 Leggie, 98 OBW, and 99 OBW, and never had any issues on replacement part sizing.

I checked Advance Auto Parts website for a 95 Leggie, and found brake pads listed with no mention of wheel size or build date consideration. I am confident that Advance will sell you the right size part.

Hi check out this POST on cars101.com.

The '90-99 EJ22 (?) Legacy L models had the 10.2" single-piston front disc and 10.5" rear. (Brighton had rear drum and NO ABS)....w/either 14" (L) or 15" (LS, LSi-<'96) wheels/rims.

Any of the '96-99 EJ25D/2.5 (OB, GT, LSi) and Turbo (Sport Sedan/Touring Wagon) models had the larger 10.5" dual-piston front disc and 10.5" rear disc (vented rear on the turbo models)....and had 15" or 16" (GT) wheels. The Forester had the same as the Outback, AFAIK.

More than you asked but may help w/IDing what you need.

GL,

Td

the abs system will be fine, but your 14'' wheels will not fit.

He stated he had the L w/the 15" so, he'll be good to go......and you'll need the mounting bracket for the calipers, if that's not obvious.

List:

mounting brackets

calipers w/pads

rotors/discs

brake fluid

?

TD

Edited by wtdash