Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Code 24, goes away after warm

Hello EA82 club!

91 Loyale, EA82 SPFI, 2WD, 5SPD, 116K miles

Ok. I go out in the a.m. and try to start the car, no start w/o holding the throttle 50% until started, the CEL stays on, and idles around 350-500 RPM on its own.

I go to drive, and she sorts of bucks mid range, and is slow on the take-up if I spike the RPMs. Also, upon engine braking ( from 1500-on) and pull into neutral, the idle bottoms and stalls (like you turn the ignition off), but restarts right away, CEL still on, and idles stupid low. Pull the CEL code: Code 24, and that's it.

NOW, for the twist. When the engine FINALLY warms up (the gauge never reaches half point, more like 1/4 when it's "warm"), the idle stops bottoming out, the engine doesn't hesitate, and is much livlier.

PLUS, when I turn the ignition off for a second or two, restart, the CEL goes away, and the idle sits right at 700. It will start and run 100% 20 mins, 1hr, 4hrs, and today, it went 6hrs, without running, and started perfectly.

INFO: All tests/readings were when the engine was cold (CEL on)

Idle valve Ohm (10.4), infinite Ohms between terminals and body

Harness power (black/white wire) 12.2V

MAF: 10.3Ohm resistance on gnd terminal, 12.2V feed, and good signal power (can't remember values, but it was smack in the middle and varying w/ blowing into air box)

CTS: 435Ohm @ 147F

NO build-up in throttle body (I mean SPOTLESS. The zinc plating is still POLISHED), no fluid leaks.

The IAC is original and I watch it cycle when the throttle is actuated, and when the ignition is turned on and off.

now.... GO!

UPDATE!

Well, my throttle body re-gasket finally came in, so new injector O-rings, upper TB gaskets, new FP reg o-rings and a new fuel filter, and my problem is cured. There wasn't anything obviously wrong with any of the components, but i figured it couldn't hurt (esp with the added ethanol in the fuel now a days).

Don't ask me why, I couldn't see why the computer has rectified the electrical dilemma it was in by a simple regasket (the injector housing to TB gasket was fairly wet..) or it was a vacuum leak that sealed upon warming up?! IDK.. lol

anyway, no more cold idle problem!