Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I realize this isn't really Subaru specific but I trust the experts here.

My '97 Legacy Wagon has one tire that is getting quite worn down on the outer edge. It is just starting to show secondary rubber.

The tire was on the front passenger side and I believe there is an alignment issue that caused the abnormal wear.

I don't have the money for new tires right this second.. I might next week though.

My question is, does anyone think this tire is going to blow out on me within a week? I rotated the front tires to the rear in hopes that without needing to turn it won't ride hard on that outer edge. Here is a pic: NgwkL.jpg?1

Thanks for your help.

It's not optimal, but I have unknowingly driven on worse. Once the steel belt starts to show through then you know it's getting down there. Could possibly be the camber being too far positive on that wheel causing the outer edge to wear down. That is easy to check on a flat surface with just an ordinary level against the wheel.

Hmm interesting, I'll try that. I'll be getting a full alignment at the shop when I get four new tires next week so its probably not a big deal til then. I figured I would be okay for a bit since there is no steel showing and I too have unknowingly driven on much worse than this.

I've got to do about 200 miles of highway driving this week and I was just mildly concerned about a blowout at 65mph.

You can drive a surprisingly long way on tires with cords showing... The tread can even completely fall off, and they still hold air. I'm sure that'll be fine.

Though, it's more susceptible to puncture because there's less tread and it's thinner in that spot. Make sure your spare tire isn't flat. Been there... It's no fun.

And not just inflated but also check the tread on the spare. Pull it out and do a visual inspection on it. My shop has a '98 Outback as a shuttle car and it had a tire go flat. I went to put the spare on it (on the side of a very busy freeway off ramp for the shuttle driver) and realized the tread had separated away from the inner layers. Luckily I had taken a good spare just in case.

Trust me, it's the last thing you think of until it's too late. I still need to check the one in my XT6 as I've never even pulled the cover off of it.

I ruined a spare tire once because it was pretty low on air. But what choice did I have? I put it on anyway, it went flat pretty quick on the highway, so I just drove it like that for probably 20 miles. I'd rather ruin the spare than a full size. Besides, spares are $10 at the junk yard...