Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O2 Sensor - Where is it hiding????

Ok, having 'check engine' lite on constantly and have narrowed it down to O2 Sensor.

99 Impreza Outback with J223 engine.

I found the one in front of the catalytic convertor but, for the life of me, can't find the other.

Isn't this supposed to have 2 O2 sensors? I looked at the back of the converter and if it's there, it's very well hidden.

What's up with this, guys?

Thanks,

UMT

OK, I found it. Looks like I was looking at the 2nd one.

Which one is usually the problem, front or back?

These things are a PIA, by the way. I did purchase a 3/8 special socket to remove them from Harbor Freight (beings that I don't plan on making a living doing this) for 4.99, and it works great. Well built and the 3/8 one has an offset which makes things easier. (In my case anyway)

Local Autozone lets you borrow the 2 types of wrenches for O2 sensors.

Yeah, I knew that. The problem is that I live a good 60 miles from the nearest Autozone.

I only spent 4.99 for the socket. Cheaper than gas, etc...

Thanks.

Edited by UMT

Depends on the problem. What's the problem?

Just that the 'check engine' light came on some time ago. Had a code reader put on it and got the code for bad PCV/O2 sensor. Installed new PCV and engine light still on. Doesn't seem to affect gas mileage and I have 200K on the car, so I haven't been too concerned about it. Had some time to look into it but as I said, I've read different opinions about which one is usually the culprit on the forum.

Car runs like a top but that light is starting to annoy me! Ha.,

UMT

There is no code for the PCV system. Post the exact code please, otherwise there's no way to give accurate information.

Shoot! I forgot the code! Guy just said it was either PCV or O2 Sensor as it was 'running rich.'

Thanks for the help, I'll try to get it again.